GE 90/30 - Quickpanel

Kenny A

I am running a GE 90/30 plc with 3 quick panel HMI's. I changed one out about two months ago and sent two out for repair. I needed to change out another one today. I replaced the panel and connected with a serial tool cable and downloaded the application. The quickpanel took the download but it keeps flashing ERROR lost communication with PLC, then after it flashes for a while it reboots. The quickpanel's i have are 12.1" QPLC's.

I have been searching through old posts and can't seem to find anything that matches my problem.

A few things i tried. Before i downloaded the application, i went under properties in the navigator and changed the ip address to the one for the panel. I had to change coms back to serial com1 before download. I tried both quickpanels that i have that i just received from my distributer that were repaired. Both are doing the same thing. I seem to think i am missing something. I searched the help files in my software which is GE cimplicity machine addition ver 4.0, that was no help either. I just looked at the repair tickets that came back with my quickpanel and one described some of the problem that i am having now and they stated that the software was corrupted. I did find some information in my search about setting the ip address. I am not sure if that is something that i need to set on the quickpanel before i download to it or not. If anyone knows how this is done, i would appreciate some information. I did ping the ip addresses on my network and only received responses back from the plc and one other quickpanel. The one i changed two months ago does not respond, but the panel seems to be working properly. (I know that does not make any sense to me)

Well i will finish my rant now and ask for help. If anyone has some information they would like to share, i would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Kenny A

More detail is needed. Please list all the IP addresses, including the PC running Cimplicity.
Your software is very old as version 6.0 is shipping today, also version 4.0 needs all availabel 'patches' loaded to work properly with the latest QuickPanels. BTW, what version are the QuickPanels, I'M assuming that they are QP View, not the old QuickPanel TCP?

The ip addresses are:
PLC 10.10.1.225
HMI1 10.10.1.226
HMI2 10.10.1.227
HMI3 10.10.1.228
Pc 10.10.1.229

In the properties on the quick panel target the model for the quick panel says 12.1"(QPLCxxxxx) this matches the info on the panel. Not sure if this is the information that you are asking for.

The ip addresses are:
PLC 10.10.1.225
HMI1 10.10.1.226
HMI2 10.10.1.227
HMI3 10.10.1.228
Pc 10.10.1.229

In the properties on the quick panel target the model for the quick panel says 12.1"(QPLCxxxxx) this matches the info on the panel. Not sure if this is the information that you are asking for.
What is the part number on the hardware? It will begin with with IC754xxx or QPxxx.
Do you have the updates for Cimplicity 4.0, if not, you must get them** or have problems with new or updated hardware.
Cimplicity 4.0 SP4 (DN1683)
Cimplicity 4.0 SP4 Special5 (DN1679)
Install the SP first.
**You will need a GE SSO to login and DL these, it is free and takes only a few minutes.

Russ,

Thanks for your help and response. I was able to get this issue resolved. I needed to set the ip address on the panel itself. I was thinking it would set it when i downloaded the target to the quickpanel panel. None of the manuals that i had said anything about this. On the touch screen you need to touch any 3 corners of the panel simultaneously to be able to go offline with it and then it gives you menu's to set the parmeters. You need to set the ip address here. That fixed my problem. Also found the issue with the panel that i couldn't ping, it had an address in the same parameters but off of what it should have been.

Also, thanks for the links to the software updates. We will be updating the software in the near future but i don't have a copy of it here in the Gulf of Mexico.

Thanks again for your help.

Best,
Kenny

Last edited: