Powerflex 525 built in Ethernet/IP port is not working.

Kaurk

Hi,

I have two PowerFlex 525 with Embedded EtherNet/IP Adapter
Problem is that the ethernet ports do not work and it seems that they don't have power.
I have done everything by the manual. Talked with support they didn't know the source of problem.

Hopefully someone already had a similar problem and can help me.

With Best Regards,
Kaur

Hi,

I have two PowerFlex 525 with Embedded EtherNet/IP Adapter
Problem is that the ethernet ports do not work and it seems that they don't have power.
I have done everything by the manual. Talked with support they didn't know the source of problem.

Hopefully someone already had a similar problem and can help me.

With Best Regards,
Kaur
Ports? There is only one built-in Ethernet port on a 525, so either you are trying to plug in your Ethernet cable to the DSI port, or you have added the Dual Port Ethernet option card. If it's the option card, make sure it is seated properly and that you didn't bend any pins.

I have two drives, that's why i wrote ports. It was misleading, my bad.

I'm afraid that Ethernet boards is malfunctioning. I can't see any other possibilities.

#The ENET and LINK led never lit up under any conditions.
#If i connect the drive directly to my PC. It states cable unplugged
( communication what so ever )
#BootDHCP does not see the drive.
#drive ip is set to 192.168.1.51 by parameters
#C128 is set to 1 ( ip from parameters )
#Firmware is latest.

Had a long talk with Rockwell UK support over phone. I had already tried everything they suggested.

Kaurk.
You mentioned that you have the IP set in P129 to P132. Have you set the Subnet mask? P133 to P136.
What do you get back when you ping the drive?

Is this issue on both drives??

It sounds like your ethernet port is not working or somehow turned off. I seem to recall a post about ethernet ports being turned off, but I think that may have been a dual port adapter that had online options to disable ports. I don't think the 525 has that (at least for single port)

I would suggest resetting the drive to factory settings. I don't know how to do it, but there is typically a procedure for it. The manual or tech support should guide you.

The other thing to try is a firmware upgrade (or regrade to the same?). That can be done 2 ways - through ethernet or USB. In your case, the USB is the only option.

#The ENET and LINK led never lit up under any conditions.

Both of those lights will not light up if there is a duplicate IP address being used, it auto-detects any communications to that IP address that does not look like the packet for that drive. Because an un-commanded move can be dangerous, it then disables the VFDs Ethernet port. Try different addresses or if you can, use BootP. Make sure the MAC address is correct.

Change the IP address on your laptop and see if there is any change.
Plug the drive directly into a wireless router or ANY Ethernet switch and see if the drive network lights turn on or even flash.

Thanks for all the ideas!

PLC Pie Guy
I did set the gateway to 255.255.255.0
I have to double check what is the exact message i get when i ping the drive, but loss rate is 100% ( Remember, If i connect the drive directly to my PC. It states "Network cable unplugged" under Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections. This means network adapter sees no connection )

kekrahulik
The current firmware is the latest 4.xxx. I will factory reset the drive on monday and downgrade the firmware. Good point

jraef
Yes that is correct, the manual states the same. But right no they never light up and there is no connection. To me it seems that the port is simply switched OFF.

dginbuffalo
Cabling is correct. Switch or no switch does not matter, situation is the same.

Physically remove the drive controller from the power section(Main body of the drive)
Inspect the pins on both parts.

Are you sure you are plugged into the Ethernet port and not the DSI port (both look the same) swap the cable and check anyway.

What voltage is the drive sticker say?
What does the voltage connected to it read?

Did you power cycle the drive?
This most be done for parameter changes to take effect.

Last edited:
Hi

Is boot p turned off. I know you can enter an IP address but this only will work when you cycle the power.

Donnchadh

Once again thx for the answers.

GTUnit
Opened the whole drive and inspected visually for loose connections - non found.
Input voltage is correct.
Cycled after parameter change, and many time more.

Mill_Control
Yes, my bad, I ment subnet mask.