Migrating FactoryTalk View Projects to Windows 7 64 bit

I tried the process again on my XP 32 bit machine , this PC does not have FactoryTalk View , and the finished result was grayed out saying it was already converted.

I did select "Create" and it says that FactoryTalk needs to be installed on my 32 bit machine.

Like Bright676 said that he gets Rockwell to do it. I may try that route.

Bright676 , how did you go about getting Rockwell to convert those for you ?

Thanks so much for all your help.

Rob,

I'm sure you're frustrated by now, or maybe even a little confused, but I wouldn't give up so easily.

If it's saying that it's already converted then that's probably because the first time you chose the wrong option "Create" instead of "Export", and now that copy of the tag database on your USB flash drive is unusable, even though it is saying it's converted already. It is basically corrupted or in some indeterminate state.

Delete the entire project off your USB flash drive.

If you start again with a "fresh" copy of the project from the 64-bit machine on your USB flash drive and this time on the 32-bit OS select "Export". Then you should get the CSV file in the project folder that you need to bring back to the 64-bit OS.

Regards,
George

I just asked them, Where I work we have a tech connect contract. I don't know if its a part of the contract or not though. They always do, they never said no.

If you must...

On the Knowledgebase Homepage...

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/home

...at the top, you will see "Submit a Question".

Go there and select your product in the list under...

Performance and Visualization

Example: FactoryTalk View ME

On the next page you can enter your subject/question...

Example:

Subject: Legacy Tag Database Conversion

Question: "Please, can you convert the Tag Database for the attached VX.XX application file. Thank you.

You can attach files up to 20MB.

They should get back to you the next day or same day if early enough.

Regards,
George

I am late to the party, but if I recall correctly, you cannot just copy ME applications from computer to computer - you have to transfer them as APA files, which requires the full install of ME on the XP machine?

There are two tech notes in the Knowbase:
450509 Which is access anyone, which covers the conversion of the tag database - but the application files are not converted.
and
522271 Which is access Tech Connect. It covers the conversion of applications, which I think is the one you want.

You must have FTView installed on the XP machine, and transfer the files via apa backup.

Then again, it is Friday afternoon, and its possible I am all wet!

Mike,

Welcome to the party...

I beg to differ on needing FT View Studio installed on the XP machine, even though Shawn Tierney also mentioned requiring it. It does have its purpose for the conversion, but it is just one of convenience more than a necessity.

The Application Manager is purely a transit method to easily transfer the applications using one convenient file. You can indeed copy or move entire projects from one workstation to another for the purpose of the conversion.

But, if you do not believe me...

450509 - FactoryTalk View Legacy Tag Database Conversion Tool
Access Level: Everyone

From the above...

450509 said:
...To help out with this migration, a Legacy Tag Database Conversion Tool has been created. This tool is included with the product as of v6.1 and is distributed through this RA Knowledgebase so it can be installed and used on computers without FactoryTalk View installed...

And later, after the CSV file is exported on the 32-bit OS...

450509 said:
...Copy the entire project folder (including the exported .csv files) or project file (updated .PVC for PanelBuilder 1400e) to the 64-bit operating system with FactoryTalk View Studio v6.1 installed, making sure to keep the project folder structure intact. You may zip up the files on the 32-bit operating system and unzip on the 64-bit operating system before creating the tag database...

This is Rockwell telling you how to manually copy the project folder, with the exported database CSV file, to the 64-bit OS, taking care to copy the folder structure as is. Because you do not have the Application Manager on the 32-bit OS, they also mention the use of a zip file to achieve the same thing i.e. transfer the project using one convenient file.

And for good measure...

450509 said:
...If using FactoryTalk View Machine Edition, you may also use the Application Manager in this step to create an archive (*.APA) file and copy that file to the 64-bit operating system...

...they then mention that if you do happen to have FT View Studio on the 32-bit OS, then use the Application Manager to transfer the project, which is the most convenient method, when available.

Regards,
George

George in the article 450509, it states:

NOTE: The conversion process only relates to the project tag database and does not convert any other component of the project.

So you get the tag database and that's its no?

George ,

I tried it again. I used export the other times.

"If you start again with a "fresh" copy of the project from the 64-bit machine on your USB flash drive and this time on the 32-bit OS select "Export". Then you should get the CSV file in the project folder that you need to bring back to the 64-bit OS."

I searched in the folder after "converting" on the 32 bit, and I do not see
the .csv file.

I took notice that every time I redo the process , the folder is grayed out saying that is was already converted.

The first time I did the process on the 32 bit system, I received after the process, a excel spreadsheet on my USB stick. It shows the objects on the HMI application and the addresses and tags.

I have not been able to duplicate the process for some reason , to get the same result.

I am getting closer. Below is the Notepad reports I got from the 32 Bit System
conversions and the 64 Bit System conversion.

But after I placed it back in FactoryTalk View.....

c: User / Public / Public Documents / RS View Enterprise / ME / HMI Projects

I went to open FactoryTalk View and Open Project , FactoryTalk View started
populating , then I got........

X Fail to Load HMI Server Service

Any Idea what this could be ?

I was so close :(
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After the 32 Bit Conversion

Notepad

"Export legacy tag database with 'Legacy Tag Database Conversion' utility.
This log file can be found at 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\11272015_215720_Legacy_Tag_Database_Conversion_Export.LOG'

Exporting legacy tag database for the following 1 projects has been done successfully. Please copy these projects
to a computer with FactoryTalk View 6.10 installed, and then run this tool again to finish the conversion.

F:\Try Folder Molder\1348_Interbake_Moulder_Rev_02\1348_Interbake_Moulder_Rev_02.med

Exporting legacy tag database for the following 0 projects failed."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the 64 Bit Conversion

Notepad

"Create new format(FactoryTalk View v6.10 or later) tag database with 'Legacy Tag Database Conversion' utility.
This log file can be found at 'C:\Users\bsmith\Documents\11272015_220400_Legacy_Tag_Database_Conversion_Import.LOG'

Creating new format tag database for the following 1 projects has been done successfully. Now you can freely
open these projects with FactoryTalk View 6.10.

E:\Try Folder Molder\1348_Interbake_Moulder_Rev_02\1348_Interbake_Moulder_Rev_02.med

Creating new format tag database for the following 0 projects failed.

Creating new format tag database for the following 0 projects succeeded but with exception."

Mike_RH said:
...So you get the tag database and that's its no?

Mike,

If you mean...

"So you just get the tag database 'file or folder from the project folder on the 64-bit OS' and that's it no?"

Then no, not quite.

The statement you've quoted is just to inform you that the export/conversion (<<< I'll get to the confusing terminology later) process only affects the tag database within the project you have selected.

In other words, you must select a project's development file within the Tool before it can process its referenced tag database.

The Conversion Tool looks for project files, such as MED for ME projects and SED for SE projects.

MED stands for "Machine Edition Development". For ME applications, this file contains, among many other things, the reference links to the WATCOM SQL tag database, which is stored in the Tags folder inside the project folder. Without the MED file, the Tool has no way to directly reference or export the tag database to the CSV (Comma-Separated Values) format.

Also, it is this very access of the WATCOM SQL tag database format which must be performed under the 32-bit OS as this legacy WATCOM SQL format is not supported under a 64-bit OS.

You must have the development and tag database files within their correct and expected directory structure.

Now, whether you could just copy the project folder with only the development file and Tags folder inside, I'm not sure? It might be enough for the Tool to do its job? While that might be interesting to try, I would say why bother?

Unless you're in some kind of weird predicament where you only have some of the project's structure intact, like corruption, or whatnot, I would always advise that you copy, not move, the entire project folder for conversion.

Again, this manual copying procedure is only recommended for users that do not have FactoryTalk View Studio/Application Manager installed on the 32-bit OS. If you do, then it is recommended or preferred to use the Application Manager/APA method to transfer projects between the two OS. This is simply because there is less room for error using the single APA file over manually copying several files and folders. Once done correctly, the manual copying method is fine, for the conversion.

I also made that distinction earlier.

Why only fine for the conversion?

If you have a project on one workstation, which is accessible in FT View Studio, and you want to transfer it to another workstation, where it must also be accessible in FT View Studio, then the manual copying method is not so straight forward.

When you use the Application Manager on the first workstation to Backup the application, it automatically packs up the entire project into an APA file. When you then Restore the application on the other workstation, which has never used this application before, it automatically unpacks the entire project into the FactoryTalk system. That is, it adds the HMI Server for the project into the FactoryTalk Directory and so it's communications shortcut is successfully retained. It also now becomes available on the Existing Application list that you are presented with when you open FT View Studio.

When you manually copy an entire project folder, and its contents, from one workstation's <HMI projects> folder to another, FactoryTalk knows nothing of this application project, yet. When you open FT View Studio, it will not be listed in the Existing Application window.

You would now need to perform an Import of the project.

You Create a new application in FT View Studio, but select Import instead of Create. Point it to the new MED file in the project folder and it will import all the components of the project, except the communications shortcut and any extra languages it may have. The HMI Server is created for the project and it is now available on the Existing Application window.

You would then have to recreate any communications shortcuts again and likewise for languages.

This is why the Application Manager is the recommended and preferred method for transferring projects between workstations, where you want the transferred project to be fully usable in FT View Studio.

For the purposes if this conversion, the manual copying method is fine when you are only looking to export the tag database on the 32-bit OS without wanting or having to install FT View Studio.

I would also advise that you make a backup copy of the original project folder before doing any conversion. An APA archive file is ideal for this and many to most usually already have these archives for safe keeping.

It's more for when you copy back to the project folder on the 64-bit OS and then perform the second part of the conversion. If something goes wrong or gets corrupted you can Restore the original project from the APA again.

More on the confusing terminology to come...

Export/Conversion/Import?...

Ok...

Before moving on, I'd like to clear up the terminology we have been using so far as I think it may be getting somewhat confusing, to say the least.

This is also a precursor to continuing to assist you Rob.

I keep seeing references to "conversion" but am left wondering whether it's intended to mean an "export conversion" on the 32-bit OS or "import conversion" on the 64-bit OS.

Because the description of this entire procedure is referred to as a conversion, and technically so are the sub parts, it can become very difficult to distinguish which particular step any of us are referring to at any given time.

So, to clear this up so we might make more sense to each other...

As we know, the objective of using the Conversion Tool on the 32-bit OS is to "export" the Legacy Tag Database to a CSV file. But, this export operation is, in itself, a conversion. This is by virtue of the fact that the export operation converts the WATCOM SQL tag database into a CSV file. So this first part is "a" conversion of sorts, but not "the" conversion. They refer to this as an "export conversion ".

When we take the CSV file back to the 64-bit OS, the objective of the Conversion Tool is to "create", or "import" a new tag database. Again, this import operation is, in itself, a conversion. This is by virtue of the fact that the import operation converts the tag data in the CSV file into an SQL Server Express database. This is also "a" conversion of sorts, but not "the" conversion. They refer to this as an "import conversion".

While both uses of the Tool involve a form of conversion, I would recommend only using the term "conversion" when referring to the entire conversion in general. If referring to the export performed on the 32-bit OS I would recommend referring to it specifically as the "export" or "export conversion". Likewise for the import performed on the 64-bit OS I would recommend referring to it specifically as the "import " or "import conversion".

If you are seeing the term "conversion" or "converting" while performing the export do not mistakenly think that once it's successfully finished you now have a converted tag database ready to be used back on the 64-bit OS. You still have to perform the "import".

So now, I think we can resume...

Rob S. said:
...The first time I did the process on the 32 bit system, I received after the process, a excel spreadsheet on my USB stick. It shows the objects on the HMI application and the addresses and tags...

Rob,

If you were seeing a file with no .CSV extension (extensions for known files turned off), and/or it had an Excel icon, and it opened in Excel with the data you've mentioned, then that was/is the CSV file. CSV files can have a file association with Microsoft Excel and will use the default icon.

...X Fail to Load HMI Server Service

Any Idea what this could be ?...

This error can normally occur for a couple of reasons, but as we're specifically dealing with a Legacy Tag Database conversion, I would start with the closest related cause...

Look in the Tags folder within the project folder and see what files you have. If you can see the file extensions then look for a <project_name>.db file. If a .db file is present you will get this error.

This is a remnant of the old WATCOM SQL Tag Database and can just be deleted. If this is the case, you should then hopefully be able to open the project.

Regards,
George

Thanks so much, George . That was it . This new position is really challenging
me , with situations I never knew existed out there in other manufacturing plants.

Thanks again , Sir .