UKCA marking

lesmar96

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have received notification that after Dec. 31 2020 the UK market will only accept the CE marking for a limited amount of time, due to Brexit. The information I have been able to get a hold of now is somewhat limited and vague as to what the requirements and regulations are/will be.

We currently build control panels for a machine OEM that sometimes ships machines to the UK, thus they have required us to CE label our control panels. I assume we will have to switch to the UKCA label??

Anybody have more information or experience with this? this is our only CE customer, so I don't have a lot of experience.

Thanks for your input!

These guys have usually steered me in the right direction and have advice on this page:
https://www.conformance.co.uk/ukca-mark-information-advice
The simple answer at the moment is that nobody knows, just another aspect of idiot Brexit.
This is a line from the page above:
The amendments are at the draft stage and will only be issued when the UK leaves the single market.
Which should be at the end of 2020, but might be mid June if Boris and his team can't get their own way and they throw their toys out of the pram. Or might be in a few years time if negotiations drag on as expected.

Im not 100% sure but you dont have to CE mark your control cabinet seperatly, the machine builder is CE marking the machine and you make sure you build according to IEC 60204 or applicable standard and the machine builder use this in his CE marking

Years ago I had to build a panel to ship to Canada that met CSA.

All I had to do is make sure every component used in the panel was CSA approved, I didn't have to have the panel approved.

It might be the same for UK and other countries.

Aabeck - nice idea but there is a saying in the CE world.
CE + CE does not equal CE.
So using just CE components unfortunately doesn't make a CE panel or machine.

Im not 100% sure but you dont have to CE mark your control cabinet seperatly, the machine builder is CE marking the machine and you make sure you build according to IEC 60204 or applicable standard and the machine builder use this in his CE marking

I am unsure about this, but you may be right. Its the time of customer that just tells us what regulations each panel has to meet and we build accordingly so I am not sure about the certification of the entire machine

I was on a global compliance training seminar before the Exit of Brexit had actually occurred.

The advice given at the time was that CE will still apply post-Brexit.

You will likely find that UKCA standards are harmonised with CE.

The training provider was TUV SUD.

If the UK stops accepting CE marked equipment as of 2020 DEC 31, I will personally shave half my beard so I look like an idiot.

If this were to happen, I still won't look as much as an idiot as the ever shrinking island of Great Britain would look at that time.

They may as well have written "There is a chance Sanders will take over government, and if this happens there is a chance we become Communist and sieze all your assets and distribute them to the population."

Was the notification perhaps from someone who makes money from 'handling issues related to Brexit transitions'?