PLC5 conversion to CLX

Bob.Boerst

First post. I find very helpful information here!

I have an existing PLC5 Enhanced on a DH+ network with several other SLC500's and several (6) Panelview 1000's. We are taking out the PLC5 and replacing it with a new Controllogix L81E. We are also adding a Panelview Plus 7 which will be communicating over ethernet to the L81E. The plc5 program conversion was no problem and the HMI screens converted no problem.
The CLX was seamless working with the new panelview Plus.

Here is where my problem is:
With the Panelview 1000's I can read from the new CLX bits (B3:72/3) data type "Bit" and (N10:4) data type "unsigned integer" at the Panelview 1000.
When testing momentary pushbuttons B3:64/8 and N10:32 value from a Piloted Control Selector I get error 208 and I cannot write to the CLX.

Any help is very much appreciated.

In the Studio 5000 tag properties check the external access settings for those tags and make sure they're "Read/Write".

I think this is the default, but who knows what the project migrator tool might assume and do to that property.

Thanks for the reply OkiePC.

I checked this and they are set for Read/Write.
Could this be possibly be a data type difference between the old panelbuilder32 and the clx?
I am all out of answers to chase after.

I don't deal with PanelViews much, but that sounds like it could be the case. In our conversions, the N files and B files were converted into arrays of SINTs. I ended up editing the tag names of most of them to make them more meaningful for the newer platform and changed some of them to DINTs where it made the most sense.

EDIT: I may be mistaken. It may have converted them to DINTs. I just opened the file from one of the projects and still see a remnant of controller tag N7 which is a data type of DINT[32] so an element name example would be N7[10] and data type DINT.

Give us the exact text used for the tag name in both the Panelview and the L81E.

Last edited:
I have checked into that.
Since the plc conversion made everything into DINT's I could not read those from the Panelview.
I changed them to INT's for the16 bit length and then I could read them but still cannot write to them.

Hoping for a simple fix...if there is such a thing.

In the L81E, I believe that SINTs and DINTs will be treated as signed integers. I am not sure at the protocol level whether that makes a difference, but you might try changing the panelview data types to signed instead of unsigned. This is just a guess. Whether they're signed or unsigned only matters when you are performing math or scaling and the underlying bit pattern is still just a block of bit boxes.

There are a lot of folks on this forum who are well versed in Painelviews including the newer hardware, so give as much detail as possible and I am sure there will be an answer for you.

Last edited:
Thanks again OkiePC.
I did a test by changing the data type and it now works.
I only have a few to change so I can make quick work of this.

Thank you,