AUtomation Direct BRX to Click via Ethernet

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hello Everyone,

I have a project that I have been working with a customer on and need some help/ideas, its a large project but small parts, one PLC with a few inputs and a few outputs that will be sending data to 'the cloud' but maybe 40 PLC's in each location building, they are going to use MQTT to push the data so we are thinking BRX would be a great fit, but since each node is only a few I/O it seems unnecessary to have a Ethernet BRX at every location

So how about remote I/O or a Click, I looked at the T1H but they are more than the BRX, so can I use a Click and write/read to a BRX over Ethernet?

I can use a 10 point BRX (325.00) at one location and the other 30ish locations use a Basic Ethernet Click for 135.00

Best regards
Mark

Pretty sure that should work. They share Modbus TCP protocol support. The Click only supports a handful of simultaneous Modbus TCP clients (4 iirc). So as long as each Click doesn't need to talk to more that many peers at once.

The BRX has a group of registers set aside for use as Modbus Holding Registers, Modbus Coils, etc. so there might be some extra data shuffling to do, but the CPD instruction in the BRX is pretty powerful and can do the moving and data conversion in list form to make complex mapping pretty concise.

Pretty sure that should work. They share Modbus TCP protocol support. The Click only supports a handful of simultaneous Modbus TCP clients (4 iirc). So as long as each Click doesn't need to talk to more that many peers at once.

from the CLICK help file
This Ethernet Port can establish the connections with three Clients (Masters) and four Servers (Slaves) at the same time

In case this is too limiting, you could go with a P1k. P1 does not have on-CPU I/O, so this route would require I/O module(s) [~$60 -$80]
from the P1000 help file
Modbus TCP Client (16 Servers) and Server (16 Clients)

All of the mentioned CPUs support some level of Ethernet/IP, so that may be an option.

Thanks guys!

My thoughts would be have 10ish basic Ethernet Clicks sending data to the BRX and then the BRX reporting to the cloud, the Clicks would not be sending data to each other

I think I need to buy a BRX and test my thoughts

Thanks again
Mark

Thanks guys!

My thoughts would be have 10ish basic Ethernet Clicks sending data to the BRX and then the BRX reporting to the cloud, the Clicks would not be sending data to each other

I think I need to buy a BRX and test my thoughts

Thanks again
Mark

You can actually test it pretty thoroughly with the built in simulator and probably test out your communications to a real Click PLC. I believe the simulator will default to the PC main Ethernet port. I used the simulator to prove my code for a project that replaced some simple solar powered (12vdc) RTUs mounted on top of water towers. Once I was confident the program would work, I bought the hardware. I was pretty impressed with the software and like it better than the P-Suite series.

I have done exactly this, multiple Clicks to one BRX, BRX compiles data into arrays for posting into cloud. You don't need to place incoming, read, Modbus data into the MC, MHR, etc data blocks, those are for incoming, written, Modbus data. You could even create your own data types called Click1, Click2, etc. It is quite a manageable mission you are embarking on.

So I am back on this project, I have watched a few of Gary's videos but I am getting an error, do I need to enable something on the Click?

I have the IP address correct and think I have the BRX configured, just trying to read the Click 400000 and write that to D100 in the BRX

Bolt would you mind sharing your project?

The error is a Driver Error, ST143
Will be ON if any device is reporting a runtime error, for example, if the On Error indication of any multi-scan instruction is set this bit will be ON. Use the System Status tab of the System Info utility to locate the instruction that is causing the error.

BRXwarning.png

I think you need to start with creating a "Device" for each Click to be connected via Modbus TCP, instead of using your generic IntModbusTCPClient device.
Other than that I don't see much different with your application vs. mine. I have multiple devices, for multiple Clicks, always enabled (not "interlocked"), and it just works. The devices handle the overhead for each connection so you can run them all simultaneously, unlike Modbus RTU.

Note: I'm writing my data into the MC/MHR blocks of Do-More, but that is not necessary/how it's intended. You can write it to any data block of the correct type.

ModbusTCP.PNG

Still no good, same error, ST 143 device driver error, Could not open TCP connection

Did you have to do anything in the Click? I see the sent packets but nothing coming back

No, I don't recall having to do anything specifically in the Click. But it has been a few years. Are you doing this in an actual CPU, or in the simulator? If a CPU, you could try establishing a Modbus TCP connection with the Do-more Simulator on your PC. keep in mind a Do-more will only allow you to read the designated modbus coils and registers data blocks.
MC, MHR, and a couple more.

Yes I have two PLC's... I hope to have time later, I may need to call AD, my customer will have 16 nodes, do you know what the max is ? how many do you have on your network? and thanks for the help.