Overseas Equipment - Frequency 60Hz to 50Hz

EICS

I'm located in Australia, my potential client has some equipment
recently delivered from USA rated with a 480Vac 60Hz Supply i assume it's 3 Phase due to being told its 480Vac (i'm yet to be advised on kW or current rating)

In Australia our local supply is 415Vac 50Hz Supply

can anyone recommend or has used a drive (or know of any other product) to do the conversion for frequency.

i am thinking a step up transformer or auto transformer with the VSD input connected on load side of transformer then VSD output will feed the New Equipment with the VSD set for V/F law and fixed full speed demand input.

any thoughts ???

Last edited:
yes this does help James, Thanks for your Reply. it could be that simple.

client has now mentioned its a Robot Cell, i need to visit site and get more information and check what is on the input from supply and ratings from nameplates etc.

assuming its not 50/60Hz rated i would like other options if possible as well.

Should look at the control components used, like, drives, vfd, power supplies etc to understand what voltage range it is suited for. Who knows, maybe you don't need any conversion at all. Some minor edits on the VFD input voltage and frequency settings may be necessary.

Robots are generally made for the world market. Any that I have worked on have a transformer in the panel with different tappings for different supply voltages. They are not fussy about phase rotation or frequency.
The auxiliary components in the cell would need to be evaluated to see what power requirements are needed for them.

As others have said, check the components specifications. We ship machines around the world and our Yaskawa A1000 drives specify Input voltages of 380-480 and 50/60Hz

As stated, most components now days have a 400 to 500 VAC range and accept 50hz or 60hz. However, If you are concerned about the input voltages of the components or breaker and fuse sizing, you can use a step up transformer. My concern only would be with any motors that are NOT powered by a drive, as they will be running about 17% slower than designed. This is especially a concern on fans and pumps, but since you will be going from a higher frequency to a lower frequency, it may not be as big of an issue.

Last edited:
I have had machines come over from italy to the US with 480vac mains, but apparently they didnt want to change all the motors, (pump motors) so they used a VFD to go from 480 to 380, for those particular motors.

You shouldn't have to do anything
the Volts to Hertz ration is the same
8 Volts to Hertz 480 / 60 = 8 400 /50 = 8 across the line motors will run just fime just a little slower
Base speed of a 4 pole motor at 60 hz is 1800 rpm
Base speed of a 4 pole motor at 40 hz is 1500 rpm
most VFD's are rated at 400 Volt Class 380 to 480 Volts input
as for pumps / fans their normal output will be reduced a little but don't think you will notice the differance
VFD's keep a constant V/F throught the speeed range up to base speed so motors on a VFD will not see a differance
if you look at the name plate of most motors they are rated 50 / 60 HZ at 50 hz they will have a slightly reduce HP output but if the small differance causes a problem then the motor was undersized from the start

my advise would be to wait until is arrives and then test it and make the call

A VFD can't provide an output voltage greater than the input, so you won't get 480 VAC out of the drive without a transformer ahead of it. You can get 60 Hz out of a 50 Hz input, but you will have to verify amp ratings at the 60 Hz.

I would spend some time ASAP talking with the equipment supplier and get their recommendations and OK - they have probably done this before.

And I disagree that you won't notice much difference with pumps and fans. For any type rated at 60 Hz and running at 50 Hz you will only get 83% of flow. If it is a centrifugal pump or fan the available head drops to 70%.

Last edited:
Actuall you can get an output voltage greater then the input on a vfd
example 120V single phase input - 230V 3 Phase output Yaskawa
I have one on the shelf
While I have never seen one at other input voltage but it would be possable but the questio would be why would want to at 480V

UPDATE

well it seems ABB make a "Static Frequency Converter" for this exact application. mainly used for Shore to Ship power connections when in ports for extended periods.

ABB PCS 100 SFC-0250 (250kVA - 300 Amp) which is a transformer/converter packaged unit (see pdf attached).

i am expecting this to be very pricey and lead time to be long, i have not won this job yet - have to wait and see!

i am awaiting quotes for such units

many thanks for the help here some excellent info.

Are the motors AC induction motors? You mention robotics, that usually means servos and servos have drives already, which just rectify the AC and thus would care about frequency. You need a thorough understanding of the entire machine before spending money needlessly.

UPDATE

well it seems ABB make a "Static Frequency Converter" for this exact application. mainly used for Shore to Ship power connections when in ports for extended periods.

ABB PCS 100 SFC-0250 (250kVA - 300 Amp) which is a transformer/converter packaged unit (see pdf attached).

i am expecting this to be very pricey and lead time to be long, i have not won this job yet - have to wait and see!

i am awaiting quotes for such units

many thanks for the help here some excellent info.

$50K is my guess.

150KVA for $35K from here: http://www.gohz.com/150-kva-frequency-converter