TIA Portal 13 over VPN won't let me connect to HMI

KWLB

I have a machine with a S7-300 CPU and a TP1200 HMI panel set up for remote support through an mGuard VPN router.

I can set up the router connection without a problem and when I start TIA Portal it lets me go online to the CPU, but it cannot find the HMI. If I just ping the network adress of the HMI I get a response so there is something there to connect to, but TIA Portal won't let me connect to it.

I have talked to a technician on site with the machine and there are no issues with the HMI otherwise as far as he could tell.

Any ideas on how to approach this problem this would be appreciated.

Sounds like a port not configured in the firewall. WinCC dosent use port 102 for online connection. The PG operating system assigns the port I think.

To transfer project WinCC uses Ports 2308 and 50523.

You can telnet the IP with the port number and find out if the port is open. telnet will need to be enabled (most likley) under windows feature. After enabeling open CMD and enter - telnet IP.Address.Of.Device port#

Use the PLC connection as a test. port 102

netstat will also list your ports currently listening or connected when executed.

Mguard may block the telnet traffic also.

I could be wrong here but isn't the point of a VPN that it passes traffic through firewalls? As in, if I have a working VPN connection to the router then any firewalls will have been bypassed already,

And in the PLC cabinet there is just a network cable from the PLC to the VPN router. And I have already tried havingthe HMI plugged straight into the router, that did not change anything unfortunately.

Not used a Siemens HMI, so this is a wild guess. :) With the PLCs when you do an 'extended download' there is a drop down box that lets you choose, 'Show all compatible devices', 'Show accessible devices' and 'Show devices with the same address'. I think it is the first two that won't work over a VPN, so you need to choose 'Show devices with the same address'. Is there anything like that for the HMI?

Not used a Siemens HMI, so this is a wild guess. :) With the PLCs when you do an 'extended download' there is a drop down box that lets you choose, 'Show all compatible devices', 'Show accessible devices' and 'Show devices with the same address'. I think it is the first two that won't work over a VPN, so you need to choose 'Show devices with the same address'. Is there anything like that for the HMI?
Yes there is, and I agree that the latter is the best for connectring via VPN.

Also, for the Siemens HMIS I have had differing results when chosing PN/IE or Ethernet as the interface. Mostly Ethernet works best, but try both.

I use an E w 0 n Router which is similar to mguard. These VPN routers are intended for exactly this use, so typically they will already be setup to open the relevant ports. But if everything else fails, do investigate the ports.

Disclaimer: I think that the transfer dialog has changed a bit from V13 to V14 and to V15.

another vote for this, if using the PN/IE driver.

Also, for the Siemens HMIS I have had differing results when chosing PN/IE or Ethernet as the interface. Mostly Ethernet works best, but try both.

Also, MAKE SURE IT MATCHES between the PG and HMI. Ethernet driver probably makes more sense, since the IP is known, but having someone verify what the panel is actually set for is a good idea.

How is this set on the HMI ? Is PN/IE set when Operating mode is set to "IO Device" and otherwise it defaults to Ethernet ? Or .. ?

You change it in the Transfer settings window of the control panel (see screen shot). PN/IE is at the top of the list, Ethernet is at the bottom. In their infinite wisdom, they are not compatible.

As far as I know, IO Device activates the "Direct Keys" feature, which allows you to use the function keys of the panel as IO to the PLC. I think it maps the LEDs to outputs as well. The feature was useful on the key panels, I'm not sure how the feature maps to touch.

2020-09-16 14_15_11-.png

Last edited: