Ab ControlLogix file

Thats not the same thing. You will have to download 20.X to open a 20.X file. V32 will not work.
Each version (ignoring sub-version) is a unique program.

Do i need full version of 20.05, or can I load software option to V32 that will allow me to open an earlier version?

Do i need full version of 20.05, or can I load software option to V32 that will allow me to open an earlier version?

You need the full version of V20. Usually your license entails you to all versions up to the current version of when it Expires of that software stream Logix5000/Studio5000 are the same stream. A separate license would be needed for Logix500. You'll just need to download it from the rockwell software website.

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/en-us/support/product/product-downloads.html

Last edited:
Would you risk installing V20 on same drive with V32? Sounds risky...probably a VM would be better choice?

Your Studio license may need a legacy license adder for RSLogix. I have to pay an extra $200 to $300 extra. don't remember the exact amount. only i have to pay more.

I have version 11 through 33 installed on the same VM. They are intended to coexist side by side.

When you double click on a file, it will check the file and open the appropriate version automatically. If you open Logix and then File>open a file from a different version, it will close and re-open the file in the correct version automatically. Aside from the UI differences*, you'd never know it was multiple software packages.

*and the sheer size of the "Rockwell Automation" folder in Program Files

I think @NetNathan meant the risk is a new install of v20 when v32 is already on the drive, because that act might break the v32 installation. For multiple versions, the common wisdom I have seen on this thread is to install older versions first.

No experience, just sayin'

I think @NetNathan meant the risk is a new install of v20 when v32 is already on the drive, because that act might break the v32 installation. For multiple versions, the common wisdom I have seen on this thread is to install older versions first.

No experience, just sayin'

I've personally never encountered any issues either having multiple installs on the same machine or installing revisions out of order, but I have seen several horror stories mentioned on here that I would still recommend following that advice :ROFLMAO:

I've personally never encountered any issues either having multiple installs on the same machine or installing revisions out of order, but I have seen several horror stories mentioned on here that I would still recommend following that advice :ROFLMAO:

That comes from not paying attention and just selecting Install All. Putting in older packages over newer when the installer already had deselected those because it detected newer ones already installed. Things go sideways when you do that...

I have had problems installing versions "out of order" and had to delete different applications such as Linx to get a version to install.
Also I've had to install a windows app something like network and I've had to get RA tech support to remove a windows update to get FTV to work.
Some days it goes good, some days not so good.