ASCII to EtherNet Printer

jimtech67

I have a SCL 500 5/03 the a ProSoft MVI46-GSC card.
The ProSoft MVI46-GSC sends out ASCII strings to serial printer.
Working fine for many years.

Serial printers are leaving us...

Is there a way to get the raw ASCII string to an EtherNet printer ????

Thanks

The quick answer is "sure, the MVI46-GEC".

But most of the MVI46 family is at the point where Prosoft isn't manufacturing it anymore, including that module.

So if you want to keep the existing serial module and "convert" the ASCII string from RS-232 to a raw message over TCP to a specific IP address and TCP Port number, then you'll need some kind of intermediate device.

What exact make and model of printer are you using ?

Are you comfortable with putting an embedded computer in this data path, like a Raspberry Pi ?

I am open to any solution..

I have a SLC500 5/03 with an Net-ENI module
And I have 3 separate rigs (almost identical) printing to 3 printers.

Have not selected the Ethernet printer.
I am open to any printer..
I am preparing for the future..

But have 2 HP printers (with ethernet) we had laying around working with the module below.
This is working on my desk with our backup SLC rack.
The 2 printers are HPLaser Jet Pro M203dw & HPLaser Jet Pro M404n

I found this converter SER2USB
https://www.ak-nord.de/product-75.html?language=en
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/ak-nord-gmbh/SER2USB/7621809
One of the HP printers works great..
Other works but different (some sort of buffering issue where it needs to 2 form feed commands)

In the a perfect world I would like one printer for all 3 rigs..
But not a deal breaker...

Thanks