way OT: Proper installation of effluent pump in septic system advice needed.

What a list of bullshirt! The pump is working? It draws nominal amperage? It pumps or moves smelly water? If the answer to all of these questions is "YES" then replace the affuent check valve, it's leaking back. This would cause the pump to work overtime and it would have to overcome the initial back pressure of the liquid when it starts and this may cause a substantial increase in current to the motor, tripping the circuit breaker or burning out the motor.

bitmore

Last edited:
I think what I had was a very cheap effluent pump that stalled out from either a bad bearing/bushing or solids. When stalled it didn't draw enough to trip the 15 amp breaker, I never did get my clampon in the circuit to verify stalled amps. The new pump is rated the same h.p. (1/2) is cast iron, weighs about 4 times as much, has a 2" fitting, old was 1 1/2", FLA is 9, was drawing 7 amps when tested in about a foot of water, head is only 5 feet. I think it will send chunks into the tile bed but if the homeowner keeps the settling chamber pumped out regularily then that should never happen. I was a little concerned because leaves were blowing in the hole but I wasn't going back in to fish them out. Everything pumping away now, my neighbor is happy, she dropped off a tin of homemade cookies last night. ("If you want good neighbors be a good neighbor" - unknown)

Brian.