Show Tag names at runtime in FactoryTalk View ME

xzen

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am experienced with Wonderware InTouch. InTouch tag names can be accessed by the .Name dotfield. For example Pump12Start.Name results in string "Pump12Start". This is useful for example if you want to label objects, like several pumps in one window/display.

I am currently working on my first project in FactoryTalk View Studio. Is it possible to access/show Tag Names at runtime in FactoryTalk?

I have exploded the possibility to display tag names in ME while ago, and answer is NO. ME cannot handle indirect string values. Instead I have created set of string memory tags inside ME. I'm using parameters to recall and display corresponding tag ID.

I've done it in ME.

1. By all of the objects in ME Make a string display and point it directly to the Tag name in the PLC.

2. Set the visibility parameters of the String to a BOOL Tag of "Show_Tags"

3. on the HMI in your navigation panel, make a button called "Show Tags" or "Toggle Tag Display" and link it to "Show_Tags" in the PLC

If the "Show Tags" button is selected, then all of the strings displaying all of the tags will become visible. Otherwise, they are hidden.

On an ME app, hopefully your screen isn't too cluttered so having the display will work out.

Does that make sense?

Do you really get the Tag name in the PLC? How? I can only get to the value of the tag. This value could of course be a "tag name" string. But this string has to be manually input as far as I can see...

xCOMMANDOx is right, but instead of a string display, use a text display. In the dialog, click Insert Variable, select String, then Literal String in the next dialog. Click the ellipsis button and drill down to the tagname you want. You also get the topic name, so you wind up with something like "[PMCS]PUMP1" for the tag name.

Thank you guys!
It looks like FactoryTalk ME is more like configuration, in contrast to InTouch where the programming/scripting possibilities are important. Hard for a programming guy like me. But I'll leave that discussion for an other thread...