RSView32 Issue

Tonho.Beltran

Have a Good Day,
Normally I'm use FactoryTalk View Software, especially in Server-Client Configuration. But in this case I had to repair a datalog of RSView32 version 7.5 and I replace a file and the project back to normal.

But, according to the customer, before the problem, the system lets close main window and the datalog continues operating (as background). Now this functionality not happen and immediately they close the window, the system stops data logs.

My Question is:

Is there any way to configure the RSView32 to close the main window (Works) and the project remains running in the background?

Thanks!!!

I think that if an RSVIew Trend is set up to run and collect Historical data around the clock, then the Trend data keeps getting collected even if RSView is not being displayed. Either RSView Works has to be in Run mode or RSView Runtime has to be running in the backgroud. Note that a main graphics window can be closed (no display or a blank or whatever the programmer put up there) and RSView can still be running.

If the trend chart is working, and RSView32 is off, then those time periods will be blanks in the trend. Perhaps you changed the datalog that Trend was using to collect data. If you modify that trend chart to match the new datalog, it should work.

To edit a Trend in RSView32 works, click on "Graphics, Display, (then find the graphics title with "_TREND" at the end. Open this Trend, then right-click anywhere on the trend chart grid and from the pop-up menu, select "Edit Trend". Now make sure this trend chart agrees completely with your changed datalog historical data. Make sure that the file name for the Data Source for Historical Data is correct. Click on "Pen Configuration" and make sure that all relevant tags are in the trend list.

Last edited:
Hello Partner,

I'm from Colombia and my English it's not that good. But I' will try to explain the case:

System: Windows 7 Professional SP1 32 Bits
Software: RSView32 7.5 CPR9 SR1

Problem: The trends and data exported to Excel were at "zeroes" after power failure.
Diagnostic: According to own diagnostic of RSView, files from datalog has been corrupted
Solution: Replace the file *.DLG in folder DLGLOG\CREW. The replace file proceed from a Backup

Customer Observations: Before power failure, they can close main window and system continue datalogging. Now that not happen.

I'm try to verify if that's possible (close Works or Runtime and the system continue datalogging) but that has not been clear to me.

Next, attach printscreens.

Check to see if someone changed the backup *.DLG Data Logging file (or the original was changed after the project was backed up) and the RSVIew project now has one of the 6 Data Logging Stop methods shown in the attached Help file:

RSView Data Logging Start & Stop Methods.jpg

Image 01

Sometimes, when I close Rsview32, this Windows message appears.

Image 02

RSView32 running in mode runtime. When the main close button is activate, datalogs stop working. When lower close button is activate, Project still working and I can reopen displays

Image 03

The project use RSLinx to adquire data from the controller's tags and this image show that tags is being serviced while RSView is open.

Image 04

The way to run automatically the project

Image 05

All services when RSView is open

Image 06

Remained services when RSView is closed

Thanks for your time!!

Remained services when RSView is closed
Because the DDE Server is left running even when RSView closes, then probably the Data Logging that your customer is missing, was being done by the still-running DDE Server and not RSview.

DDE Server is using for exporting data to Excel file, I'm Right?
Yes, but there are some problems when using DDE with Windows 7. You may be running against one of those problems. Many people are replacing DDE with the OPC Server. Do an "Advanced Search" on this site for "DDE OPC".

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=83119&highlight=DDE+OPC

Is your customer now using a different computer (than the one running RSView) to view or use the data from the DDE Server? Apparently that doesn't work so well in Windows 7.

I don't know now if recreating the Data Log will help any. Apparently it is the connection between the Data Log file and the DDE Server that is causing the problem.

Last edited:
Hello Partner,

There is a difference starting a project with runtime or works? In both cases when I apply on the close button of the main window, the datalog stops

Furthermore, I recreate the entire datalog but the problem continues with a small difference: The cmeopc32.exe keep running but the error windows appears (01 datamanager failure) killing the process mentioned.

My last chance was reinstall the software... Nothing happens. I think that if main close button is applied, all process are killed

:(

There is a difference starting a project with runtime or works?
There is a small difference. The difference is that with RSView32 Works, you can switch to Edit mode and make changes in the RSView Project, but in RSView Runtime, you cannot make changes. However that difference should not cause any change in the data logging.

I think that if main close button is applied, all processes are killed
That would be the normal result for RSView.