Powerflex 525 - F 114 uC Fault ( Microprocessor Fault )

Good Morning ,

I have some new Powerflex 525 Drives - This morning I got a F 114 uC Fault. Sounds like it is an issue with the microprocessor . I was able to reset it by powering it down , and back on. With your experience , will this fault keep raising it's ugly head , and should I replace it and return it to Rockwell Automation ?

Any thoughts why this happens ?

Thanks so much ,

Did you not get a manual or a link to it? My limited experience with the Powerflex series of drives calls to mind one of my first journeyman's maxims: RTFM. The fact that the only way to clear it is through cycling power to the drive means it is, in AB parlance, a MAJOR FAULT. This is never good...

I had a drive throw that fault once. A power cycle cleared it and it has never shown its face again. We let it ride because they are easy to obtain if needed.

If this is a brand new unit I would call your distributor and let them know. Maybe an email is better so its documented if it shows its face outside of the warranty period.

Reasons

well according to my experience these types of faults occur due to:
1--> Dust
2--> old capacitors
3--> leakage diodes

clean the board with pressure air and wash it with Philips electric dry contact cleaner work like charm....đź““

That fault can be indicative of excess common mode noise making it back into the drive. Triple check all of your grounding connections, and make sure that the ground wire coming back from the motor terminates on one of the DRIVE ground terminals, not on a ground bar or stud first.

Also, make sure that inside of your panel, you are not mixing drive output wires together in wire duct.

We had this Fault due to noise generated by a standard DC brake on a standard VFD rated motor.
It was eventually mitigated with thee phase suppressors and overzealous grounding. A couple of them were replaced with ABB drives.
jraef is very correct. And "raise it's ugly head" may be quite likely...

I had a drive throw that fault once. A power cycle cleared it and it has never shown its face again. We let it ride because they are easy to obtain if needed.

I had the same experience on a relatively new 525. Happened once, then never again. It's been a few years now. :confused:

Just wanted to say I had this code today too. I reset the drive (had to power cycle, couldn't just press the button) and it hasn't showed up again yet. Will update if it has.

We have had this nuisance trips until we grounded C1 and C2. 90% of the time this fixed the issue. The other 10% of the time, it was a bad VFD.

What firmware is the powerflex? The issue has been resolved with firmware 7. We have about 200 of these and they were a constant issue before flashing them to 7. The release notes talks about this.

Just wanted to say I had this code today too. I reset the drive (had to power cycle, couldn't just press the button) and it hasn't showed up again yet. Will update if it has.
we have 75 of these drives is service in a very high vibration install of which the microprocessor header on screen disconnects and causes 114, solution zip tie around vfd or glue the front face and update firmware to 7 and depending on the application set status to last know before disconnect... may help but not truly safe in some cases?? Also buddy with the ground comments would make sense as well!!

Additionally I think this was a know issue during production and solutions change so look at allen bradley for info as well.. I think I heard possibly a revision where smt components are setup to better solve this issue?? Not sure so reading is everything on there websites.. good support as well.