factory talk studio doubt

kuppe35

Hi all, I'm working with FTVS and I'm trying to give a title to a dynamic popup that shows what device it is currently operating. I've seen that in "Display Settings" there's the voice "title bar". I was trying to write for example "{#8}" and passing a string variable through a parameters file. Also i didn't know how to link the text of the string with the variable itself (I've tried String_UFF:='CIAO'; but I get an error ).
What's the easiest way to pass a string that let me see the real name of pump in the dynamic popup?
Thx in advice.

1.jpg

Does your pump description have spaces in it? If so, you'll get an error. Try setting your pump description to a single word with no spaces, and see if that works. If it does, your solution is ASCII spaces.

See this thread, especially posts #6 and #13, for details.

I was trying to write for example "{#8}" and passing a string variable through a parameters file.

You're writing {#8} in the Title Bar textbox, and that's wrong. You have to click on the Insert Variable button and select String. In the popup window, select the Tag option and write {#8} in the textbox. At the end you'll get a correctly formatted string in the Title Bar textbox:

Code:
/*S:0 {#8}*/

Of course, this method only works if you write a parameters file containing a #8 tagholder:

Code:
#8 = myvariable

where myvariable is a string tag declared in your database.

If you prefer to set the text in the parameters file, use the method described in this thread. Don't forget to take into account what has been indicated by @ASF about using spaces.

thank you nhatsen for the detailed response.
I have just 2 question:
1) I created a string variable in rslogix5000 but i couldn't find how to associate a text to the variable itself. So when I open the popup, I always see "?????" in its name space.

2)I've seen the suggested thread but i didn't see how to set the text in the parameters file.

Is there someone who knows how to associate a text to a string variable that is passed to parameters files or also passing directly a string through parameters files ? Any help is appreciated!

now i've found at least how to pass directly a string through parameters files. Just go to > Display Settings >Insert Variable>String>Literal String> and pass the tagholder used in parameter file