Old S7-300 CPU programmed with S7 v5.x into new project TIA Portal V13 over Profibus

Traloch

Hi,
I have a few questions in relation to a new project I must design. Sorry if a little vague on existing hardware, but it's all the information I have for the time being. I have attached a sketch of the network hardware, and I will try to give all information clearly
The old:
OK, first I have an existing S7 31x CPU programmed with S7 V5.x. This has only an MPI connection.
The new:
Two new S7-315 CPU connected via Profibus, programmed with TIA S7 Professional V13 SP1 Update 1. Connected to each CPU will be a PC with RT. Also a TP-1900 Comfort panel will be added to the old cabinet, programmed with WinCC Advanced V13 SP1 Update 1 .
There will be addtional nodes communicating to the PLCS over Profibus.
Option 1:
I would like one of the new PLCS to be the Master.
If I add a Profibus card to the old Cpu can I easily implement this into my new project, and get all information I require from it? Leaving the old program relatively untouched.
Option 2:
Replace the old CPU for one with Profibus capability and migrate the program to TIA V13, and update.
Is there a lot of re-programming involved after migrating a project from S7V5.x to TIA?
Additionally:
I have three different RT devices, two with PC RT and a comfort panel. I would like to have the same project on each one. When developing the screens in WinCC Advanced V13 for this, do I have to make each of these individually or can I copy paste to each device?
Should I connect all RT devices on ProfiNet from the Master CPU?
Or is it possible to connect each PC RT with each new CPU and then add the comfort panel to Profibus.
Ok, I hope that is clear what I'm trying to achieve. If not just ask. I would appreciate any advice, Thanks in advance!!

Traloch

If you do not want to touch the existing program, why do you want a profibus connection to it?
Either way, this would be relatively simple. Just do each CPU in its own environment, but make sure you declare everything correctly.

Sure, but a new CPU would set you back a couple of grand. And depending on how your program looks, some things might not port over directly.

If you do not want to touch the existing program, why do you want a profibus connection to it?
Either way, this would be relatively simple. Just do each CPU in its own environment, but make sure you declare everything correctly.

Sure, but a new CPU would set you back a couple of grand. And depending on how your program looks, some things might not port over directly.

Thanks for your response.

I want a profibus connection to it as I will need data from the old CPU, in order to implement it into the new HMI together with the data from the new CPUs. I was just wondering is it easy to add a Profibus card to this old CPU in S7 V5.x and then somehow in TIA V13 hardware config setup the communication.

When one of the new 315's is 2DP you can program one port to be MPI and have an MPI network with the old PLC.
But better try to get the extra bucks to replace the old PLC.
I think especially for the ones that have to troubleshoot this system later it's a PITA having to use different software platforms

Last edited:
Why not replace the old CPU with a PN version and then get the HMI's off the Profibus network and onto Ethernet.
The you can do the whole thing in TIA.

When one of the new 315's is 2DP you can program one port to be MPI and have an MPI network with the old PLC.
But better try to get the extra bucks to replace the old PLC.
I think especially for the ones that have to troubleshoot this system later it's a PITA having to use different software platforms

When doing this with MPI, is it possible to send data like over profibus. Like I\O addressing from a DB for example.

Yes, your right a new PLC is better to be able to have it all under the same software platform. An option might be to remove the old cpu altogether and replace with a Profibus IM151 for example, and move the control to the new Master CPU.

Why not replace the old CPU with a PN version and then get the HMI's off the Profibus network and onto Ethernet.
The you can do the whole thing in TIA.

I can also do it in TIA if its on Profibus. But I`m open to all options.

I was thinking of putting all controllers, HMI, PC on Ethernet like you said Mike. One problem I can see is that for my two new CPUS if they are connected via profibus and one CPU has to be shut down for maintenance of that area of the plant. My Master CPU would go into stop without a DP\DP coupler being intalled. Would I avoid this with Profinet?:confused:

I can also do it in TIA if its on Profibus. But I`m open to all options.

I was thinking of putting all controllers, HMI, PC on Ethernet like you said Mike. One problem I can see is that for my two new CPUS if they are connected via profibus and one CPU has to be shut down for maintenance of that area of the plant. My Master CPU would go into stop without a DP\DP coupler being intalled. Would I avoid this with Profinet?:confused:

If you use OB error blocks on master, your master should only show fault led for bus, but PLC stays at run mode?

If you're going to be using 315 CPUs anyway I can't help wondering why you want to even consider using TIA in it's current catastrophic state instead of sticking with classic V5.5. I'd ditch the TP1900 Comfort panel and use either an older panel or else a dedicated (cheap) PC instead. That way you can at least be relatively certain that you won't have endless time-consuming programming problems which will almost certainly cost many times the small additional cost for a PC-based HMI.

RMA,
Come on!
TIA V13 with the service pack applied is not "catastrophic" and has a future whereas Step 7 classic does not.
The Comfort Panel series has much better performance / price than any of the older MP / TP series (Which are on the verge of being obsolete).

Because, we are moving into using the comfort panels as a standard HMI in the company. As mike said the older panels are beginning to be phased out.
I am wondering should we also be using the S7-1200 also. Has anyone been having much trouble with these compared to the S7-300?

Which OB error block is used for profibus?

Try with OB86 http://szirty.uw.hu/S7/S7_OB86/OB86.pdf, also programming error can exist, if you try to use addresess of slave which don't exist anymore. If yoo look CPU diagnostic buffer when you take slave off, you should see which OB error blocks CPU is asking before stop.

You can load all ob error blocks to CPU, they only inhibit cpu stop from any error, if you don't make any code inside them.

Last edited: