Panelview Plus Firmware Upgrade Problem

woodward_uk

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello

I am trying to upgrade the firmware in 10 Panelview Plus 1000 terminals at a site that we are upgrading. The part numbers are shown below.

PV Plus - 2711P-K10C4D2 (Ser A, Rev D)
Logic Module - 2711P-RPX (Ser B, Rev D)

I created a firmware upgrade CF card using the wizard, the current terminal firmware is 3.2 (CPR6) and I am trying to upgrade to 4.0 (CPR7). The CF card was successfully created and I used the following steps.

1. Backed up the MER application.
2. Deleted the old application.
3. Disabled Auto Start app.
3. Reset the terminal.
4. Inserted the CF card.

The firmware upgrade started ok and I could see the files being copied across. The terminal then rebooted (which I assumed it would at some point during the process) but during the boot sequence the error message '40 EXE check' was displayed . I can no longer communicate with or gain access to any part of the PV+, it just boots to this error and then stops.

I read a few previous posts on forums which said that it could be a hardware fault and the unit would need returning to Rockwell, so (rightly or wrongly) i tried to same process on the next PV+ that needed upgrading, and now I have two units with the identical problem.

Any advice would be gratefully received before I end up with a big box of 10 dead panelviews šŸ™ƒ

Error 40 means there is no executable code in the internal CF card to run after boot up. This would indicate that these internal CF cards are now corrupted after the attempted firmware flash, for whatever reason.

There was an issue with older internal CF cards that RA used to use in pre 2005 terminals. Any internal CompactFlash cards (2711P-RWx), at Series A, B or D used with Machine Edition 3.20.00 -3.20.01, could potentially become corrupted if power is lost during a write operation.

That, by right, should not happen during a firmware flash as the flash should wait until its finished writing before rebooting. So I'm not sure if this has anything to do with your issue, or not?

They have since used a different supplier for their internal CF cards. It's possible you might have those suspect older CF cards?

You can check the manufactured date on by the bottom right of the Logic Module. If they are between 0203 (Feb 2003) and 0105 (Jan 2005), then this might be your problem?

It's also possible that the files copied to the external CF card are corrupted or incomplete, or, the card itself is dodgy or incompatible. Is it a third party CF card or an RA external CF card, such as a 2711P-RC2? The RA cards are made by Sandisk and designed for industrial use. Larger capacity third party cards can cause issues too.

If third party, you could try another CF card, if you have one to hand. If not, you could try reformatting it and then attempt to reflash one of the terminals in error.

Alternatively, you could try flashing them using a USB flash drive, or even Ethernet, BUT NOT SERIAL!

If the Error 40 terminals will not reflash then they would need to be sent for repair, or replacement of the cards, if they are the suspect older ones mentioned above.

Regards,
George

Also - make sure you have installed the latest FTView patches. I had a firmware update fail last month on a PVP7 which after consulting the knowledge base turned out to be a known issue which was fixed by installing the latest patches.

Hi George

Thank you for advice regarding my firmware problem.

I was trying to upgrade the firmware using a non Rockwell CF card, I since found a 2711P-RC2 in my desk draw, I formatted it, ran the wizard and the upgrade installed without any problems.

I wasn't aware that the Rockwell CF cards were different to standard ones so thanks very much for your invaluable input.

Also thanks to ASF for your post.

Best regards
Steve (y)