RSLinx to Excel

93lt1

Where is a good place to get information about linking data from RSLinx (DDE) to Excel? The RSLinx help files are pretty good but I want more information about how Excel deals with this data....such as update times and the like.

Thanks in advance!

If you go to the AB.com knowledgebase and type in dde and excel it brings up a lot of tech notes.

also they put some good examples on the RSTrainer2000 for RSLinx training CD-ROM but that cost $$$$

I've used HOT links and COLD links before.

One application I had, I updated 15 words of information every 4 seconds. And it was hanging in there pretty good. I won't try and run a whole operator interface from EXCEL, which you can and I have done before on little machines that had Office and RSLINX installed instead of purchasing a panelview, I put FORM buttons in EXCEL to manual toggle outputs and stuff using DDE....

...but if you need SPEED, you should stick with OPC.

If you want to see an example of DDE and EXCEL. One can be downloaded here:

http://www.mrplc.com/cgi-bin/code/filedisplay.cgi?category=excel

Good Luck,

With Excel and DDE from RSLinx, the update time is defined by the Polling Topic field when you create the DDE Topic.

In RSLinx, go into DDE/OPC -> Topic Configuration -> Data Collection tab. 1000 milliseconds is the default, but even with a point-to-point DF1 connection you should be able to crank that up to 100 ms or so.

Network throughput depends on a multitude of factors, of course, so just turn up the updates to where you think they need to be to get good "responsiveness" from your spreadsheet application.