Startup troubles with Kinetix 5500

phuz

We just upgraded an Ultra3000 to a Kinetix 5500. One of the first issues is that they were using an 1800W shunt resistor with the Ultra, but the Kinetix only supports a 2907-R6 (150W) external resistor as an option, so we left the default option enabled in the program for internal shunt. We can modify the decel times of the stopping to take some of the load off the shunt. I went to do an Auto Tune, which said successful, but immediately afterwards when I issued an MSO, the motor made a very loud buzzing noise (floor shaking), and when the MAJ was issued, it ran for a second and then faulted with "Bus Power Leakage". I have to assume this was related to the Auto Tune, but even though I reset the parameters, it is still happening. This is a standalone servo with no shared bus connections, so I am not understanding the fault.

Any ideas welcome at this point as the customer needs to run by this evening.

Also, when I issue the MSO, along with the loud noise, I notice the torque reference up over 400.

OK, easy fix. Apparently the Auto Tune parameters did not revert. I manually typed them all back, and the motor is functioning again.

So onto my main issue. If the old system used an 1800W shunt successfully, and the AB distributor sells us the Kinetix 5500 as an upgrade, why are we limited to using a 2097-R6 (150W) shunt or the 50W internal shunt? If I set up a timer to start/stop the line continuously (as it typically runs in production), it eventually faults with thermal overload (factory limit).

The shunt resistor previously being used was Bonitron M3575r-h27bf. Configured by default, it is 1800W and 28 ohms. Rockwell told me the resistance would be too low to use, so I got creative. I removed a few of the resistors that were in parallel and brought the resistance up to 58 ohms, which just about matches the resistance of the internal shunt (60 ohms). However, these monsters can handle a lot more power. I won't have the dissipation power of 1800W (and I haven't calculated exactly what it is now), but it's much higher than the internal 50W and I have drastically increased the decel rates without causing a fault...yet. 1 hour of continuous start/stop and counting.