Restoring FTView ME v4 runtime (with anomalies)

phuz

I'm trying to assist a customer with this one. We were only given a runtime file, which can't be reversed, so we're forced to the backdoor method of launching the runtime in Windows and snagging all the temporary files that are creating in order to create an application from the MED.

I've done this a few times in the past without issue. But this time, the runtime security seems to be corrupt as well as the macros.

When trying to open a macro within FTView, you get a AOAInitialize error. If you try to look at any of the macros in the macro folder with notepad or N++, it's just a garbled mess as opposed to ascii text like a normal macro.

We've tried to open this with FTView Studio 5, 7, 8.2, and 10. All have the same issue. This MER came right out of the running PVP. Never saw anything like it.

Creating this application from scratch is a big deal because it's a rather large app with 196 screens and 250 macros. Not really worried about security at this point. That's easy to re-create.
But we have no idea what was in all the macros.

I've requested a copy of Studio V4 from Rockwell and haven't heard back yet.

I am still working through some more attempts to get this resolved, but wanted to see if anyone has ever run into this.

I think this is "normal" behavior. Restoring runtimes was not a thing until v5, so it doesn't surprise me that the back door trick doesn't work the same with v4 applications. Also, I don't think having v4 is going to help you.

I'd guess that when you have done this in the past, it was probably with newer applications.

I've done this a few times in the past without issue. But this time, the runtime security seems to be corrupt as well as the macros.

Are you sure you are remembering correctly?

When doing this recover method you will not recover, parameter files, alarm setup, datalog files, and macros. TechId 8913, not sure if this still exists, I had it printed to PDF.

Yes, I've done this, but I don't recall if those applications had macros.
To put the nail in the coffin, I'll see if I can take one of my old V4 MER files, run it, and extract the macros from it.

So far, it's not looking good for this customer. I think the OEM (the only one that would have the APA file) is out of business.