View live SLC 5/03 program

petro62

So I work at a site that is 99% Honeywell, but we have a few stand alone PLC devices so excuse my ignorance on the subject.

I need to live view a program on a SLC 5/03 to see where it is getting "stuck"/what interlock is shutting it down. We had a PLC contractor come help do some other work on the unit, but now we just want the ability to view it and he told us what we needed to buy. So we got the following items:

• An AB 1747-UIC DH485 to usb convertor/connection
  • RSLINX Classic Lite
  • RSLogix 500

He told me how to setup the DH485 in RSLINX, but his instruction did not line up with what I saw on my laptop so I followed a website I found on setting it up.

1. Launched RSLinx Classic Lite
  2. From Configure Drivers Selected RS-232 DF1 devices (I was told to select Dh485 UIC devices but didn't see the option)
  3. Selected Add New
  4. Kept Default Name
  5. Selected 1770-KF3/1747-KE
  6. Selected COM3 (based on what my computer showed for USB)
  7. CRC for Error Checking
  8. Clicked OK to close

That is as far as I have gotten now. On Monday I plan to connect to the PLC and it seems I need to do the following:

1. Open RSLinx
  2. Minimize RSLinx
  3. Open RSLogix 500
  4. Under Comm select my DH485 UIC Driver like I did in previous set up
  5. Select SLC Processor
  6. Then what to view current running program?

So that is as much as I have. Again my goal is to be able to watch the program live and see what interlock or parameter is causing it to shutdown/fault/stall. Any and all suggestions and helpful hints would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The RSLinx driver you need to select is "DH485 UIC" which should be about half way down the drop down list for Available Driver Types.

The -KF3/KE option is for a computer buss card.

If you do need the DF-1 driver make sure to select "SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview" but if the comm's are DH485 that will not work.

When you install the UIC on your computer it will show up in Device Manager asa COM port with its own COMx number you will need to specify in the driver setup. But, even with the UIC unplugged RSLinx should show it as an option.

The RSLinx driver you need to select is "DH485 UIC" which should be about half way down the drop down list for Available Driver Types.

The -KF3/KE option is for a computer buss card.

If you do need the DF-1 driver make sure to select "SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview" but if the comm's are DH485 that will not work.

When you install the UIC on your computer it will show up in Device Manager asa COM port with its own COMx number you will need to specify in the driver setup. But, even with the UIC unplugged RSLinx should show it as an option.

So when I select Communications > Configure Drivers here are my options:
  • 1784-U2DHP for DH+ devices
  • RS-232 DF1 devices
  • Ethernet Devices
  • Ethernet/IP Driver
  • 1784-PKTX(D)/PCMK for DH+/DH-485 devices
  • SLC 500 (DH485) Emulator driver
  • Remote Devices via Linx Gateway

Configure Drivers is for changing existing drivers

You need to go to the drop down box above for Available Driver Types, select the UIC type and click Add New, then setup the correct COM port number

Unfortunately the drop down menu won't stay visible when I take a screenshot

Capture.JPG

Configure Drivers is for changing existing drivers

You need to go to the drop down box above for Available Driver Types, select the UIC type and click Add New, then setup the correct COM port number

Unfortunately the drop down menu won't stay visible when I take a screenshot

Correct I did that, but I do not see a UIC option. Is this a possible issue with using RSLinx Classic Lite?

Edit: I think it may have an older version of RSLinx Classic...Let me download a newer one and see if that helps.

Last edited:
As far as I know RSLinx has always had a UIC driver as that was used long ago with the original SLC500 shoeboxes and SLC5/01's.

I suggest trying ver 3.73 or newer for the latest CLX drivers. JIC.

The very old 1747-PIC had a ribbon cable and DB25 plug on the RS-232 side, and a modular connector to the RJ45 (DH485) plug on the other, and was roughly the size of a paving brick.

I had a rough couple of years with the advent of the newfangled Windows serial port drivers in 1999 or so, and passed into unusability after Windows XP SP3.

Its modern replacement is the 1747-UIC. It works almost exactly like the old 1770-KF3 (an even larger paving brick) or 1747-KE module, which convert from DF1 Full Duplex to DH485.

So it will work with a correctly-configured KF3/KE driver, or with the simplified 1747-UIC driver if your version of RSLinx Classic is less than about 5 years old.

When A-B chose to use an RJ45 connector for Data Highway 485, Ethernet was still done with heavy co-axial cables. There's +24V on one of the pins on the SLC-5/03's RJ45 port, so be sure you aren't tempted to plug it into an Ethernet patch cable or switch. It will surely smoke.

As far as I know RSLinx has always had a UIC driver as that was used long ago with the original SLC500 shoeboxes and SLC5/01's.

I suggest trying ver 3.73 or newer for the latest CLX drivers. JIC.

Ok I had version 2.something which did not have the UIC option. Now that upgraded to version 4.something I see that option in driver types

So now I have it configured. So my next steps would be?

1. Connect to SLC 5/03 via RS-232 cable or SLC cable
  2. Confirm I see SLC processor in RSLinx
  3. Minimize RSLinx
  4. Open RSLogix 500
  5. Undre Comm select DH485 Driver
  6. Select SLC Processor
  7. Then what? My instruction show me uploading the program, but I want to view it

Last edited:
Just make sure you have a descriptive (documented) copy of the RSLogix 500 application running on the controller to go Online with.

Without a 'master' the plain Upload is next to useless when troubleshooting.

Ken,

Forgot all about that old PIC.

That was huge & I had problems with the ribbon cable at least twice. Maybe I was blocking out a repressed memory.