Servo holding brake question

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. I have retro-fit new servo amps and motors into an ancient machine. I am accustomed to using 24VDC from a switching PSU to energize and release a servo motor brake. On this unit, they feed the brake with a bridge rectifier, no filter. I am by no means an expert with servo systems so my question is, why would someone energize the holding brake this way? Thank you

Old School & Cheaper. The Servo Motor likely has a 24vdc brake. A small transformer and bridge should be cheaper than a full power supply. BUT, in today's market, with 1000's of cheap little power supplies being made, the power supply may actually win the cost + labor total.

Thanks guys. My only concern is the fact that it has no filter of any kind. I just don't want the ripple to wreck my brake coil. I guess as long as the mean voltage isn't allowed to drop too low, it won't notice a difference.