SLC 500 5/05 Processor- Can you load any program without I/O to test ?

Cydog

Good Evening ,

I would like to test some message instructions , and other modifications
in a SLC 500 5/05 Processor in the office without 2 racks of I/0 . Is it possible to load a program in a 5/05 processor without I/O and test without faulting out the processor ?

Thanks so much for your help .

Disable I/O in Status File

Go to the Processor Status file in the project tree. Then click on the IO tab. Put ZEROS in all the slots that represent the number of slots in your combined chassis to disable them and prevent the Processor from requiring them to be present. That should do it.

Another thing you can do is have the IO Config empty of all cards, create a binary file B10: that is as many words long as slots in the rack.

Then in your program B10:1/0 to 1/15 can be your "inputs" and B10:2/0 tp 2/15 can be your "outputs". This would be easier to test by simply toggling the bit when online to simulate an input going on or off.

If you need analog in/outs create an N11: file.

I've experienced a strange issue with 5/05s where the processor will fault when there is no I/O, even if none is configured in the project. If you have an existing rack with I/O, the workaround is to just MOV zeroes to the outputs on an otherwise blank ladder. Then nothing can happen.