Touch HMI behind a glass screen

2rlp

A clients outdoor requirement is for a HMI to be mounted in an all weather (mainly heavy monsoon) enclosure. The touch elements on the HMI, should be accessible through a glass pane on the enclosure.

Has this been done? Please enlighten me

Thanx

Suspect not - the touch screens are either capacative or resistive touch pads and I would be very surprised if they would work through glass. I can assure you they do not work well when 'touched' with a screwdriver! LOL

I can assure you they do not work well when 'touched' with a screwdriver! LOL

Thanks for the tip

Sounds ludicrous to me. Visible sure, but touchable no.
I can think of two options:
Build a shelter
OR
Ip67 window covering This can be fixed, or openable to access the HMI in good weather. You then completely redo your controls as push buttons.

Suggest something like a 2711P-B15C22D9P with keypad buttons. Had a customer that had this installed in a pedestal in an explosion hazardous environment and it was under a poly/plastic screen covering the entire HMI then the pedestal was pressurized with nitrogen. This would work for you as there was no exposed electronics outside. The keypad buttons were able to navigate the display without touch functionality, and had good feedback response under the poly/plastic covering. Rule of thumb is touchscreens should be directly operated by fingers only.

In the early days of "touch" screens, there was an implementation that used (infrared?) light detection devices around the bezel that located the finger in the space in front of the screen.

Strictly speaking this is not a "touch" device, but it did work.

That said, I don't know if water drops from the rain would confuse the detector.

google [waterproof enclosure touch screen] or ["infrared touch frame" "waterproof"]

There are also technologies that point cameras at the user and interpret hand movements e.g Xbox Kinect.

Last edited:
Connect a mouse or trackball to a USB port of a Windows-based HMI and also Android-based and the cursor will appear on the screen.

Pretty similar to this, 7H glass and capacitive is what you need:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8fNnJiNZDs
Very interesting.
I am convinced that the guy in the video tragically1969s linked to is a sadistic villain. I cringed when he attacked the resistive screen. I would not be able to withstand being witness to that for even a short time..

Both of these videos makes me interested in if it is possible to retrofit such a superprotective layer on an existing HMI panel, if only the panel has a capacitive touch screen.