Spring clamp vs. screw type terminal blocks

Firejo

OK, some internal "discussion" going on in my world about what is preferred in the industry for a three position connector, a spring clamp type or traditional screw type. I'm starting to see a lot of the spring clamp ones showing up on Rockwell (and others) PLC's so now I'm curious.
This is an "in general" question (not one specific model vs. another).
So, what do you guys prefer (again, in general)?

Last edited:
Screw connections for me on everything. Seems like spring clamp connections tend to break more often, have not so accessible meassuring points and smaller connection holes

I'm sure spring type connections are rated for a certain number of insertions, but I often see them bent pretty badly.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets frustrated when the spring doesn't release. I prefer screw terminals, even if they take longer.

Hmm, the metal contracts significantly and the wires come loose? Just how cold are you talking?

Yep, been there and done that. Standing on my head in a -15F freezer working on a tiny j-box with a terminal strip. The 3rd time in a month that I had to go put wires back in the same spot that had fallen out, I switched them to screw terminals and it quit happening.

I'm sure spring type connections are rated for a certain number of insertions, but I often see them bent pretty badly.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets frustrated when the spring doesn't release.
I used to see bent springs when using the old style terminals where you had to insert a screw driver into a hole, then bend the correct direction. Some years ago I switched to the terminals with the orange release button, never seen another issue. The same terminals are "push-in" type so they need no tool for insertion. The speed of wiring is drastically faster than screw terminals.

I used to do regular work at a certain facility and they had weekly failures from loose screw terminals or the wire not inserted correctly. After they began phasing into the push-in spring terminals with the release button, I have not seen any failures related to terminals since.

I’m an old fa#t whose negative opinion of spring type terminals was shaped by my experience wiring houses with #12 solid wire and stab-in type receptacles. These failed a lot.

I moved into engineering and design and my opinion changed after using Wago & Phoenix spring clamp terminals for control wiring (stranded #16 & smaller) on some industrial panels. The connections seemed to hold up well and it was a space saver in the panels because less space is required between the terminals and the wiring duct.

Very few of our customers wanted them so most of our projects continued with screw terminals.

My final comment is to just make sure the electricians terminating spring clamp terminals understand how to do it properly.

I’m an old fa#t whose negative opinion of spring type terminals was shaped by my experience wiring houses with #12 solid wire and stab-in type receptacles. These failed a lot.

I moved into engineering and design and my opinion changed after using Wago & Phoenix spring clamp terminals for control wiring (stranded #16 & smaller) on some industrial panels. The connections seemed to hold up well and it was a space saver in the panels because less space is required between the terminals and the wiring duct.

Very few of our customers wanted them so most of our projects continued with screw terminals.

My final comment is to just make sure the electricians terminating spring clamp terminals understand how to do it properly.

That's the trick. Screw terminals are superior if installed by a skilled technician, but spring-loaded terminals may (or, may not?) be more dummy-proof.