how to wire panelview 800 to slc 5/03 DH-485 port?

mrgees100peas

Hi,

We are trying to establish a communication between a panelview (2711R-T4T) to an existing SLC 5/03 PLC. The documentation says to use a cable which has a 5 pin connection on one end (HMI end) and a rj45 connector on the other.The cable is listed as 2711C-CBL-AB03 The thing is that we do not have this cable at the moment. We want to build our own cable for now while the machine housing the PLC is still available. We can buy the cable at a later time. SSooo, I have two questions...

1) Can these 2 devices be connected directly with each other or do we need a converter (We have a 1747-uic in house)?

2) if we can do a connection without extra devices (hmi to plc) then how do we wire this? (5-pin to rj-45).

The 485 port pinout on the HMI is

1 +T
2 -T
3 +R
4 -R
5 S

I think I solved it or at least its working for me. On the HMI connector
I jumped +T and +R together. I connected these two on pin #1 (orange-white) of the rj45 connector.

Then I jumped -T and -R together. I connected these two on pin #2 (solid orange) of the rj45 connector.

Then I connected pins #4 (Blue) and #7 (brown white) from the rj45 connector to the S pin on the HMI.

So

Rj45 HMI
1 ----- +T and +R
2 ----- -T and -R
4,7 ---- S

I also had to set the panelview 800 correctly. I was missing specifying an address. I gave it address 1 as shown in some example somewhere.

Here are the specifics you were enquiring after...

For the physical connection you were spot on to loop the TX & RX signals polarity-wise. However, for the Shield, you should connect "5 - Shield" on the HMI terminal end to "6 - Shield" on the SLC RJ45 end and not to 4 & 7 on the SLC RJ45. 4 & 7 do nothing in the SLC DH-485 port. It will still communicate OK, I'm sure, without a correct Shield connection, but, we know that proper Shielding is not just window dressing, right?

2711C-CBL-AB03.png

For the correct communications configuration in the HMI Software, see here...

1070557 - PanelView 800: Connecting RS-485 to a SLC 500
Access Level: Everyone

The typical peer-to-peer configuration for these setups is to assign the controller as Node 1 and the HMI terminal as Node 2, on the DH-485 network.

Regards,
George