Determining how many inputs are on?

jatkinson924

I'm programming a AB 1769-L18ER processor with Studio 5000. I'm wondering if anyone knows away to determine how many inputs are on thru logic? Instruction to use? I've gotta turn off certain outputs if I reach a certain amount of inputs turned on. I'd appreciate any help!

I'm programming a AB 1769-L18ER processor with Studio 5000. I'm wondering if anyone knows away to determine how many inputs are on thru logic? Instruction to use? I've gotta turn off certain outputs if I reach a certain amount of inputs turned on. I'd appreciate any help!

If all of your Inputs are from one module, you can use a Diagnostic Detect (DDT) on the inputs directly. The output is a list of which bits are not the same between 2 arrays.

If your Inputs are not all in the same module, you will need to COP the Inputs to an array before you compare it to a Bit array of 0's.

The output array is not interesting, but the control for the output lists how many bits were not the same. I think this is what you are looking for.

I don't disagree with either reply but....
If the inputs are spared out or you don't want to count on in the middle for some reason, perhaps its a counter input or something, there is a longhand method which is simple and quick.

Assuming you are using in input map ladder, or code, that takes physical IO and maps it to memory bits, just good practice that, then all you need is a single int and a couple of instructions.

At the top of the map ladder/rung set you input count int to 0
On every rung/line that sets a memory bit to the input state inc the count by one.

you will not see any flutter because the int will only be set at the end of the scan, unless you made it volatile, which you shouldn't.

To be fair it is a bit longhand but then its also bulletproof and isn't reliant on card metadata or nicely grouped inputs.
It, the methodology, will of course work or any list of assignment statements or conditions, depending on your perspective - alarm count anyone?

BTW if you use a spreadsheet to build your code the time impact of adding a single extra instruction, for each input, is almost nothing!

Hope that helps,
Al

Thanks for the help. I tried the DDT instruction but found it changes the reference bit to match the source bit, which i don't need to happen. FBC instruction is the same as the DDT but doesn't change the reference bit. This worked perfect!

Thanks for the help. I tried the DDT instruction but found it changes the reference bit to match the source bit, which i don't need to happen. FBC instruction is the same as the DDT but doesn't change the reference bit. This worked perfect!

Sorry about that. I should have pointed out that the DDT changes the compare mask. But you figured it out.