Creating a visual "stopwatch" in C-More EA9

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a possible project that I'm trying to land, and to keep the thing affordable to this particular customer, I'm checking out the C-More HMIs for the first time (vs. Red Lion). I've down-loaded the Demo software and I'm poking around the menus to see what is in there. There is one critical display that I need, but do not see a way to create.

Here is the complete function:
-4-20 mA signal coming into a Click PLC
-Serial Connection from the Click to the C-More 8" HMI (to save the Ethernet for other use)
-A discrete tag created to toggle on when the analog signal reaches a threshold value.
-A visual timer that counts up when the tag is on, and another timer that counts up when when the tag is off.
-The timers automatically reset to zero at the beginning of each shift.
-The timers stop timing at the end of the shift.

I see clocks in the HMI, but no "timers". Does anyone see a way to accomplish a visual "stopwatch" function like this?

Last edited:
As a general rule, it is not a good idea to do logic in the HMI. However, in most HMI's there are system timers which can be used for flashers etc. Since you are planning on using a plc, let the plc do all the thinking and just display it on the HMI.

The logic would be in the PLC (Click). The HMI would just display the information in the registers that you selected. The C-More is capable of doing this.
I would use the Ethernet port for communications to the Click. You could still use the communication port for other purposes as well. (Modbus TCP Communications)

Regards,

(lightbulb turns on) Ah, yes.... of course. I'll download the Click software and see what they have for timers... and their tags. I only get to program once in a while, so I have to think about it a little.

You may want to also check out the C-More Micro Panels if you are looking for a cost effective solution.
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/HMI_(Human_Machine_Interface)/C-more_Micro_Panels
I've been using the 4" touch (EA3-T4CL) It is a nice unit with free software.

Here is a tutorial on the Click PLC to help you get started:
http://accautomation.ca/click-plc-system-hardware/
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3y71jAPOdZAltYHLp8Z3aR961EqQUawt

Hope this helps you out.
Regards,

By the way.... I ended up quoting a package with the C-More, 7" HMI. I'm looking forward to working with that and a DoMore PLC for bringing in the analog signal.