How to read Panelview 5500 system Tags from controller?

nightline

Gents,

We have a machine with a CompactLogix L33ERM CPU connected to a Panelview 5500 over EthernetIP.
I wondering if and how it is possible to read the Panelview 5500 system Tags from the CPU.

When I add the Panelview 5500 in the IO-tree, there are 2 Booleans added in the controller tags, one tells the running state of the HMI, the other one is for the connection state.

The HMI has a lot of Local Tags inside, but I can't find how to read them...

The CPU has Fw V30, the HMI is V3.0.

Thanks in advance!

Jack

Thanks for your reply Garry, but I think there is a misunderstanding here.

I'm talking about a new Panelview 5500 which is programmed with View Designer under the Studio 5000 software.
You are talking about FactoryTalk View software.

Regards,

Jack

There is a way to do this if you have the pre-defined 'Banner' on every page

1. Create one or more pop-up pages

2. On the 'Banner' page add a text display, I called mine '1s Cyclic Task'. This text can be out of the bounds of the page limits if you like, so that you never see it on the HMI

3. Add a 'StateTable' animation to the text display, add two expression values to this table, 0 - OFF and 1 - ON. It doesn't matter what you put in the text column.

4. Put a PLC 1 second clock BOOL var in the animation Expression.

5. Add a StateEnter Event. StateName will be ON.Command will be VALUE WRITE. I wrote to a PLC STRING the value of ::Local:HMIDevice.Display.CurrentScreenName so that the PLC will know the current screen name.

In a very similar way, I added more texts with animation and events for things like;
'diPage Change'
'diPop-up Show'
'xPower-Up tasks'
One thing I do with the power-up task is turn on the VNC server, which is always off when you power up.

The pop-ups work like so;

1. Create one or more pop-up pages

2. On the 'Banner' page add a text display, I called mine 'Pop-Up show'. This text can be out of the bounds of the page limits if you like, so that you never see it on the HMI

3. Add a 'StateTable' animation to the text display, add as many expression values to this table as you have pop-ups, plus a zero state, I had ExpressionValues/StateNames of 0/PopUpClose, 1/PopUp1, 2/PopUp2 etc. It doesn't matter what you put in the text column.

4. Put a PLC DINT var in the animation Expression, a PLC value of 0 will close pop-ups, 1 will show PopUp1 etc.

5. Add a StateEnter Event. StateName will be PopUpClose. Command will be 'Popup Close'

6. Add another StateEnter Event for every pop-up you need. StateName will be PopUp1, PopUp2 etc. Command will be 'Open Popup', then select the pop-up that you created in step 1

That's the basics of it. I put buttons on my pop-up that (a) wrote a zero to the PLC DINT, and therefore closed the pop-up and (b) set some other PLC BOOL for use in the PLC logic.

If you don't have the banner everywhere, I suppose you could just copy/paste the texts onto all the relevant pages, but maintaining this would become a PIA.

I've done and tested this without much help from the crappy rockwell manual. There's not much help online for these HMI's yet either. If anyone knows a better way to do this, do tell!

I have a question of my own that follows on here. I have two identical PV5500s on my machine and would like to use the same project in ViewDesigner for both of them, however I would like to drive the four text displays mentioned above individually on each HMI. i.e. have the PLC change the page on one HMI only. I had thought to include the system var for IP address in the expressions somehow, so that the HMI can choose the appropriate var (i.e. HMI.System[1].diPageChange will control HMI 1). If the HMI had local user VARs, I could use one for a HMI ID unique to each HMI, but I don't think local user VARs exist.

Anyone help?

GOT IT;

IIF:):Local:HMIDevice.Enet[1].IPAddress==::pLC.HMI.System[1].sIpAddress,

::pLC.HMI.System[1].xPowerUpTask,

IIF:):Local:HMIDevice.Enet[1].IPAddress==::pLC.HMI.System[2].sIpAddress,

::pLC.HMI.System[2].xPowerUpTask,

I think the OP was asking if there is anyway to map the HMI's tags (internal variables) to the cyclic I/O that is available when the HMI is created in the PLC's I/O configuration (not normally done).

Gents,
I wondering if and how it is possible to read the Panelview 5500 system Tags from the CPU.

I think this is his question, and it's answered above. Granted there may be another way to do it, but my way works. Except for my copy/paste error. It should read;

There is a way to do this if you have the pre-defined 'Banner' on every page

1. On the 'Banner' page add a text display, I called mine '1s Cyclic Task'. This text can be out of the bounds of the page limits if you like, so that you never see it on the HMI

2. Add a 'StateTable' animation to the text display, add two expression values to this table, 0 - OFF and 1 - ON. It doesn't matter what you put in the text column.

3. Put a PLC 1 second clock BOOL var in the animation Expression.

4. Add a StateEnter Event. StateName will be ON.Command will be VALUE WRITE. I wrote to a PLC STRING the value of ::Local:HMIDevice.Display.CurrentScreenName so that the PLC will know the current screen name.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, the HMI tag you created actually has a location in the PLC device. If the HMI tag was defined as being in the HMI memory, the OP would like to know if it can be mapped to the cyclic I/O.

Gents,

My problem is that there is no "auto log off" function in the current version of the 5500.
If there where some status bits from the screen in the PLC which could be forced, it might be a work around for this missing function.

I heard that the new version will get this function, and that all sold 5500 versions will be replaced.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the HMI tag you created actually has a location in the PLC device. If the HMI tag was defined as being in the HMI memory, the OP would like to know if it can be mapped to the cyclic I/O.

::Local:HMIDevice.Display.CurrentScreenName is a HMI local system tag, it stores the name of the currently displayed page, as a STRING. The PLC cannot access this tag directly (as far as I know)

What I offered is a 'roll your own' way to achieve the cyclic transfer of it's value to the PLC, using animations and events.

Any HMI local system tag could be transferred to the PLC in this way. In a similar way, the PLC can write values to the HMI local system tags.

Gents,

My problem is that there is no "auto log off" function in the current version of the 5500.
If there where some status bits from the screen in the PLC which could be forced, it might be a work around for this missing function.

I heard that the new version will get this function, and that all sold 5500 versions will be replaced.

Yes you can do this.

1. Make a PLC BOOL, call it xPlcLogOffCommand
2. Create an HMI text with an 2 state animation using xPlcLogOffCommand in the expression
3. Give the text a StateEnter event, triggered by xPlcLogOffCommand going ON, the event will have the LogOff command
4. Write some PLC code to log off after a time. You could also have the HMI tell the PLC who is logged on; use the guide I've written above with the tag ::Local:HMIDevice.Security.CurrentUserName

Ok I understand but I believe that falls under explicit not cyclic, which would update every scan. Very clever.

'Clever' is not what I was thinking when I did it, 'Tortuous and longwinded' is more like it. Any other flavour of HMI will do this stuff for you with a couple of clicks.

I'm sure the PV5500 will catch up eventually and all the above will be redundant.