Anyone with a working VPU 200?

JimMichaud

I hope I'm not going to get anyone upset by reposting. It seems the older your original post, the less likely you are to get any hits.

Previous messages:

JimMichaudMember
Anyone still have a working VPU-200??
I just upgraded an old machine of ours from a 5TI to a AB SLC-500. I manually converted the old program logic from a print out that I'm sure had bugs in it. The machine is working ok, but I would like to get these bugs worked out. Had my VPU not died on me before I dove into this project, I would have made a copy of the final running program, but with old betsy on the fritz, I no longer have that option.
I was wondering if anybody knows where I can send my program disk (which I made before the VPU went down) to get a print out of the ladder program?
Thanks

jim

OZEEMember
Can't help you there, but it's often worth the effort to just plain start over with the program instead of converting it.

As you've discovered, lots of stuff didn't convert nicely from 5TI to SLC. Plus, there has been a lot of changes in control technology that often times makes programming more efficient and easier to manage. Also, it gives you a chance to fix any old existing problems, instead of just converting them (while at the same time adding a whole new set of conversion errors...)

I've done lots of obsolesence conversions over the last couple of years and have done a total re-do on almost all of them.

theDave2Member
Try http://www.sterlingservices.com/

http://stores.ebay.com/IVS-Incorporated_Texas-Instruments_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ4QQftidZ2QQtZkm

http://www.tirepair.com/prog.htm

or just google VPU200

OZEE: Nuttin in a 5TI that won't convert cleanly to a ... anything, since it's just contacts, MCR's,... Just gotta know that the timers count down.

Jim's concern is that he only had a paper copy that may not have all the latest changes, hence wanting a VPU to read that disk that certainly does have the latest.
Last edited by theDave2 : May 16th, 2007 at 02:04 PM.

OZEE
You're right. But, it's not a keystroke-for-keystroke, instruction-for-instruction, or even rung-for-rung conversion. Addressing is different. Timers are different. Integer handling is different. MCR's -- yuck... It's not that it won't convert. But it's not a mindless, load-the-5TI-program-into-a-SLC conversion either.

I knew exactly what Jim was wanting. I've done dozens of obsolesence conversions. And have found nearly everytime that it was faster/easier/better to just start over. There were very few systems of that 5TI vintage that were complicated beyond being able to rewrite.

bkottarasMember

NOT just contacts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDave2
Try http://www.sterlingservices.com/

http://stores.ebay.com/IVS-Incorporated_Texas-Instruments_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ4QQftidZ2QQtZkm

http://www.tirepair.com/prog.htm

or just google VPU200

OZEE: Nuttin in a 5TI that won't convert cleanly to a ... anything, since it's just contacts, MCR's,... Just gotta know that the timers count down.

Jim's concern is that he only had a paper copy that may not have all the latest changes, hence wanting a VPU to read that disk that certainly does have the latest.

TI PM550's came with 8-16 loops which were pretty much all internal registers/loops, used for different functions and set-points, analog scaling, etc. It's NOT all contacts and timers.

May 16th, 2007, 07:44 PM #6bernie_carlton vbmenu_register("postmenu_214223", true);

[url="http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/image.php?u=63&dateline=1125887516"]http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/image.php?u=63&dateline=1125887516[/url]

You had a video unit? You lucky dog. During my time of working with the 5TI (80 - 84) we just had the hand held 'adding-machine' type unit and a tape backup which was a large aluminum suitcase. We had to draw our ladder diagrams by hand. What a way to learn ladder logic.

May 17th, 2007, 07:09 AM #7JimMichaud vbmenu_register("postmenu_214276", true);

Hahahaha,

You guys are great (but at this point, still no help!! :p )
Indeed, thedave2 is correct, All I had was an old print-out of the ladder, which I know had not been updated over the years. Sure, if I had the time I could sit down and rewrite the program, but I just don't get that kind of time since this was only a side job. The logic was only about 600 words, and the guy that wrote it was pretty sharp, so to duplicate in "my own words" would be time consuming to say the least. Luckily this program only used CR's, X's, Y's, Timers, Counters, and MCR's, and it was pretty easily manually converted to AB's format. Everything works great except a few little querky (is that a word?) things, that of course were a little complicated, that's why, if I was able to get a print out of the actual final program, I could fix it easily, and QUICKLY!!
Yes, I was fortunate in having that VPU beast, and believe me, I had to do my share of "hand held" programming with an old TI 315 we had, the VPU did not handle that one... "OR STR NOT CR315 OUT Y1"...(I always hated the OR STR's) hehhehehe
Anyway, the program running in the AB actually is working ok, I just would like to have been able to get it back to EXACTLY how it was before the lights went out.
There is a FREE , completely operational 5TI 4k, and 16 in / 16 out I/O rack for the person who can provide me with a print out of my program!!
Thanks guys, if nothing else, it is interesting reading here!!

Jim
Last edited by JimMichaud : May 17th, 2007 at 07:17 AM.
JimMichaudView Public ProfileSend a private message to JimMichaudFind More Posts by JimMichaudAdd JimMichaud to Your Buddy List

May 17th, 2007, 07:33 AM #8Ken M vbmenu_register("postmenu_214284", true);

Quote:
Integer handling is different.
Well you certainly can't argue with that. SLC's handle integers and 5TI's didn't. Period. That's different.

Quote:
TI PM550's came with 8-16 loops which were pretty much all internal registers/loops, used for different functions and set-points, analog scaling, etc. It's NOT all contacts and timers.
And this relates to a 5TI how? My MP3 player isn't all contacts and timers either, but it won't help the discussion on 5TI's.

If you can't convert a 'good' 5TI program in to any other PLC code there's something far wrong. Little issues like addressing conventions will be there between any two PLC makes. They're not unique to 5TI conversions. However, if you've started from a 'bad' program, then the better your conversion the more likely it is to contain exactly the same errors.

Ken

Last edited:
Jim

What's your point?
You asked a question and after two days no-one has replied in the affirmative. I appreciate from your history you are a new poster, and perhaps even a new reader, here. But have some patience. You're asking a free service about some 20-30(?)year-old equipment for what you admit is a non-urgent matter ("The machine is working OK"). In your place I would tend to assume that the absence of a "yes" is in this instance the same as a "no". Perhaps no-one out there can help. My experience of this forum is that practical help is generally offered freely when it's available.

But maybe yours was indeed the last of the VPU200s. It's a bit like the passenger pigeon. Why, it seems like only yesterday there were great flocks of them everywhere across the US, and now it turns out the last one has died in captivity somewhere in Florida. You don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Regards

Ken

Jim

Honest, not upset, more surprised.
I was just trying to indicate the general mood, protocol, and etiquette in this forum. Believe me, if help is available out there, people don't usually wait a couple of days before offering. It's generally very prompt.

The absence of offers of help, as I said, probably indicates just how scarce the solution is. I thought theDave2 did quite well with his ideas. They may not have been the perfect answer you'd have liked, but maybe the perfect answer doesn't exist.

Finally, the reposting with the red, bold, large-font is not our usual style. A polite 'bump' usually suffices:)