EDS not registered in Studio 5000

jkaranas

Hi,

I'm having an issue with a FGEN-XSG16-5001 not being registered in my Studio 5000 program. I have installed the necessary EDS file which does show it as being registered within RSlinx so I'm not sure as to why it's not carrying over to my Studio program. The FGEN device is functional and actively being controlled but I would like to resolve this long list of yellow question marks in my hardware tree.

I'm running Studio 5000 V30 and RSLinx is V3.80.00 on a Windows 7 64bit machine. Setup with a 5069-L320ERM CompactLogix Processor with port 1 set with a static IP for the Plant Network and port 2 set with a static of 192.168.1.1 for my PLC I/O network.

Thanks for any help on this issue.

Welcome to the forum.
Was this program supplied by others and you used it to connect to a running plc?

I've seen this when the computer doesn't have the correct eds files installed so what you believe is the correct eds file doesn't match the actual device being used. I've made it a point to supply non-rockwell eds files with the plc program to customers when the machine is delivered to avoid this.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Does the Module object in the I/O tree give you a device configuration or parameter setting tab other than the General, Connection, Module Info, Internet Protocol, and Port Configuration tabs ? I don't get anything like that in v24 when I register the Turck EDS files, even though there are 17 Parameters enumerated in the EDS.

Is the Module object really in the Run state, with no errors or faults ?

You're describing a yellow question mark instead of a module icon, not a small rectangular module icon with a yellow triangle for a faulted connection or a yellow circle with two black bars for an inhibited connection. Is that correct ?

It sounds like maybe the EDS registration process just didn't get the correct Icon file, so it substituted a yellow question mark.

Do the correct icons show in an RSLinx Classic browse ?

Thanks for the replies,

This program was supplied to me with the hardware configuration already setup. All the associated EDS files were supplied to me by my coworkers which were the original architects and when registering those files, they all appear to install successfully.

The yellow question mark for each of these devices is followed by <EDS not registered>. When attempting to view the properties of the device I am prompted to register the EDS files and after doing so the registration does not take affect though it states the registration was successful. So, with that being said I cannot view any of the configuration settings for the device. In RSLinx the device does show the correct icon.

Each of these modules are set up to monitor discrete inputs which all are accurately updating on status change so it leads me to believe the Turck devices are not faulted.

The EDS files supplied are not correct (matching) otherwise you would not have this issue. I would get the device part numbers, go to the Turck website, download the EDS files for those devices, and install them.

I cannot view any of the configuration settings for the device.

It might be immaterial; when I register the folder full of FGEN devices on my computer, I don't get any tabs for configuration in the I/O object inside Studio 5000. The user manual suggests all the configuration is done via the Web interface.

Any chance you still have an old version of RSLinx Classic installed (pre-3.7 ?).

This sounds like a malfunction in the EDS registration, but I'm not sure how to solve it (or even if it's important to solve).

Registering the whole folder full of this family of device EDS files would be my next troubleshooting step.

EDIT: I see that the original post mentioned RSLinx 3.80. The EDS registration method changed significantly after the 2.59 -> 3.x transition along with Studio 5000 v21, and some folks still have cross-threaded mixed-up installations. This might be an RSLinx Classic issue, or something else that's hosed up.

It appears to me that these Turck modules don't use any of the "EDS-based AOP" features for configuration, so leaving them as-is won't hurt anything.

Last edited:
EDIT: I've done that Ken...

They are here...

http://pdb2.turck.de/en/DE/product/0000000500035db70006003a

That EDS package contains 8 modules, including your FGEN-XSG16-5001.

I have those already registered on my Windows 7 x64 system, running Studio 5000 v30 and RSLinx Classic v3.90.00.

I have an FGEN-XSG16-5001 module instance in v30 and the icon shows up OK under the I/O configuration...

FGEN-XSG16_5001.bmp

I can see the module's properties...

FGEN-XSG16-5001_MProfile.bmp

I don't have an actual module to hand that I can test a connection to but you know your connection is good.

Is there any particular reason why you do not have RSLinx Classic v3.90.00, which is normally installed with Studio 5000 v30?

v3.80.00 should have updated when v30 was installed?

I'm not saying that v30/v3.80.00 is the cause of your issues, but I would advise you to upgrade RSLinx Classic to v3.90.00, unless you had some specific reason for not doing so?

Regards,
George

The EDS files supplied are not correct (matching) otherwise you would not have this issue.

I went to the Turck website initially when I came across this issue and the directory of files I obtained from their site gave me the same results.

This sounds like a malfunction in the EDS registration, but I'm not sure how to solve it (or even if it's important to solve).

I've been ignoring this issue for awhile now just because it has not hindered my progress in testing the systems. I was concerned it could come back to haunt me if I ever needed to modify the hardware configuration as to why I've been looking heavily into resolving it.

A possible malfunction of the EDS file registration lead me to opening the EDS Hardware Installation tool and removing the 8 files associated with the FGEN series. After removing them, restarting my computer then adding those back in using the Hawdware Installation Tool the problem is now fixed. It's possible that registering those EDS files from the Studio 5000 software was creating the malfunction but I'm not 100% sure.

I appreciate everyone's insight in solving this issue.

Thanks for posting that update !

I'm pleased to hear that un-registering and re-registering the EDS files did the trick.

RSLinx used to use the Windows Registry for this purpose, but now they use a quietly installed instance of Microsoft SQL Server Express. It's far more reliable and faster than the old method, but evidently it can still hit a bump.

I know this thread is old but I figured I'd have some input that it's still happening in 2024.

I had the same problem for a Lumberg (Belden) 0980 LSL-3111-121-0006-002 IO-Link master or another random Lumberg IO-Link master as the original didn't work. I'm currently on Windows 10 (migration to 11 is this month) and using Studio 5000 36.11. I did the same thing jkaranas did by unregistering and restarting computer and then registering again. Now the device shows up properly in Studio 5000.