Variable Frequency Drive from ABB small problem

piscis

Variable Frequency Drive from ABB?

This Variable Frequency Drive from ABB (number #ACS-101-2K7-1-U) was working just fine until one day this Coffee Bag Filler machine was turn on and the display on the Frequency Drive started flashing. (With the entire bright Led showing like a flashing ghost, similar to a damage digital watch)

At first, we thought that the display board was damage and send for a brand new one. When mounted in the VFD we got the exact same behavior.

The unit has a RED light, which is OFF indicating no faults, and a steady GREEN led, which indicate OK.

Has anyone had this problem and can share some light on the subject? The only thing I noticed in the wiring was that the Ground coming from the supply is tie together directly to the motor, the VFD does no have any ground connections either at the PE point or at the motor terminal connector. As I said before the machine has been working just fine up to this point.

Measured Voltage Main: 230 vac

Thanks all

Let's see here. You've got a 2hp ACS100 with 240V single phase input. You've replaced the keypad because the LCD display was not displaying correctly even tho the red fault LED is off and the green drive-ready LED is on.

What you haven't told us is whether the drive responds to the keypad buttons or inputs from the terminal strip. I'm going to assume that the drive will not respond. In that case, the regulator board is bad and the drive is toast. There is a new ACS50 (no keypad) or ACS150 (keypad) that will replace it easily and for little more than you spent to replace the keypad.

There is no way that any testing or troubleshooting on this little unit would be economically justified.

For discussion purposes, maybe my assumption that the drive is unresponsive is wrong and, the drive operates ok from the keypad or terminal strip and only the display is scrambled. If that is the case, it would be a strong temptation to just keep running it unless, of course, the operator needs the display to operate his machine properly. This condition would indicate that the display driver in the drive unit is bad and again, no repair or further testing can be economically justified. It probably would be prudent to have a spare close by incase further failures occur.

DickDV:

Thanks for your help. The drive does not respond to the keypad buttons at all.

As far as the inputs from the terminal strip, how would you test this, what troubleshooting do you recommend I perform?

Have you considered replacing the Control Board in the drive?

Or, better yet, simply replacing the drive?

At that drive-level type (ACS-100) the cost of the drive must be much smaller than the cost of the lost time involved.

Consider having a few spares on hand... especially if it is critical to the process.

Go to the ABB website www.abb-drives.com and look for the rep in your home country. ABB has representation around the world but I don't think they sell drives direct over the web.

And, yes, its time to trash the old drive and start new.

Make that 50hp 460V and 25hp 230V, Leadfoot. What's more, the sandwiched surface mount construction of drives in this range make repair almost impossible even if your time is free (or worthless).

When I point this out in my classes, you should see the reactions!!!! Especially among the engineers!!! The technicians and skilled trades people seem to already know it!