S7 compare different data types 314cpu

Ned_Flanders

I want to compare an actual speed value (PIQ "Real" data type) from an analogue input, to the setpoint (0 - 100%)that is input on the HMI to the machine "Int" data type.

To get from percent to rev/min is straight forwards - multiply by 23 but I can't see a neat/simple way to do the actual comparison.

Any suggestions?

Hi Markie.

I dont know about "PIQ" and REAL datatype for an analog input.

The input from an analog input in S7 is usually a PIW scaled to 0-27568.
It is quite common to scale this raw signal to engineering values by means of FC125 "SCALE" for example. This converts the raw analog INT input to a scaled REAL value.

I recommend to use REALs throughout, it uses a little more memory and takes a little more CPU time to execute, but trying to use INTs in stead requires cumbersome shifting of decimals and checking of limits.
Using REALs throughout makes coding, and subsequent troubleshooting so much easier.