Ethernet comms cut out in run mode

Frosty09

Im Currently building a controlgix project with a 5571 processor and a en2t/d Ethernet card. With the project and PLC in program or remote program i can have comms threw the EN2T card but as soon I move to remote run or to run by switch or RS5000 The comms drop and i cant get back on line. I Hooked up via usb on the processor and fond no errors or Faults. From what i can see as soon as the processor is in run or remote run it stops communicating with the EN2t/d card. I have up loaded the most recent AOP for the card and I’m running revision 10.6 and rslogix5000 version 20.03. Any hints or things I could try would be great. sure its more then likely an User Virus

That's unusual behavior !

Does the 1756-EN2T show any faults or errors on its scrolling display ?

How do you restore Ethernet communications; do you cycle power to all devices, or remove/reseat the CPU, or remove/reseat the EN2T, or something else ?

After you lose communications, try using PING, TCPing (link), and HTTP to contact the 1756-EN2T module. This will tell you something about the services the module is still running, other than the TCP Port 44818 that the EtherNet/IP protocol uses to talk to RSLinx Classic.

Does the system have I/O connections configured to run through the 1756-EN2T ?

Are there any MSG instructions in the program that might be affecting the module ?

That's unusual behavior !

Does the 1756-EN2T show any faults or errors on its scrolling display ?

How do you restore Ethernet communications; do you cycle power to all devices, or remove/reseat the CPU, or remove/reseat the EN2T, or something else ?

After you lose communications, try using PING, TCPing (link), and HTTP to contact the 1756-EN2T module. This will tell you something about the services the module is still running, other than the TCP Port 44818 that the EtherNet/IP protocol uses to talk to RSLinx Classic.

Does the system have I/O connections configured to run through the 1756-EN2T ?

Are there any MSG instructions in the program that might be affecting the module ?

The 1756-EN2T show no errors or faults on its screen.

To Regain comms I just switch back to program mode.

The 1756-EN2T will intermintaly respond to a Ping and a HTTP web page canout be accessed switch back to program and all are functioning.

Thier is no I/O accessing the Model.

As for Instructions I have been using SSV and GSV for time clock settings from a PanelView. Im Thinking That could be a problem but I Inhibited the task the logic is in and it didn't change anything.

Im going to start a new project file and see if i have the same problems. to rule out programing or hardware.

Load an empty test program into the controller with nothing but the I/O modules in the I/O tree.

This sounds to me like something's being energized when you go to RUN mode that is messing up the overall power distribution or functionality of the Ethernet switch.

I had a similar problem once with a poorly shielded servo drive; as soon as I went to RUN mode, the controller enabled the servo and all of my network connections crashed from the noise the servo was spewing all over the power system.

Also open up the diagnostic web pages for the 1756-EN2T before you go into RUN mode and see if there are errors on the port or high CPU loading on the module before you go into RUN mode.

I've done an empty program just with the controler and I/O configured and i got the same result. Tried Reseting the EN2T card to factory and redid the settings and that changed nothing. Im going to reload all firmware for the processor and see if that has an Affect.

I will send you a box of Timbits if reloading the firmware has any effect on the system.

Loading an empty program removes the possibility of the problem being MSG or SSV instructions, and having no other devices being enabled when you go to RUN mode removes the possibility of it being interference from another device.

Is this new hardware ? You might have a bad EN2T module just out of the box. It's unlikely but it's possible.

How many I/O connections do you have configured through the 1756-EN2T ? Have you estimated the packets/second load on the module ?

In PROG mode, the cyclic I/O connections are already established and data is moving back and forth. It's just that the output connections are zero-length; the packet still goes but it's short.

The increase in data handling by the EN2T when you go to RUN mode and the I/O connections go to full size might have an impact on the CPU utilization of the -EN2T.

You can estimate the packets/second manually, or by using the Ethernet capacity tool, or measure it with Wireshark, the built-in diagnostic web pages, or the Logix 5000 Task Monitor tool.

Problem solved. Found out my Program was executed to quickly by the processor and that caused my comms problem in Run mode. my program was being executed in 1.2mill seconds and with the L7x processors it will cause problems with comms. Just had to change the program from continuous to periodic with a 15mill second scan time. Problem disappered Thanks Contr Conn

Just want to make sure that you understand that the actual problem caused by the diagnosting output modules in your local chassis and not a fast processor.

Something's fishy about this conclusion.

How would connection problems between the controller and the backplane cause the 1756-EN2T to fail to respond to PING and HTTP ?

And if the Program was moved to a Periodic Task, leaving the Continuous Task empty, wouldn't that cause, rather than remedy, the problem described in RA Knowledgebase document 467702 ?

I'm not arguing that something Frosty09 did with his program solved the problem, but without knowing if he has Diagnostic modules or how he changed the controller program you can't say what made the difference.

At least it wasn't a firmware reload. Timbits get stale in the post.

Something's fishy about this conclusion.
I agree that it sounds fishy and unbelievable, but this is not a first time I see this issue. I will explain below.

How would connection problems between the controller and the backplane cause the 1756-EN2T to fail to respond to PING and HTTP ?
Simply because it gets flooded by RSlinx unable to pass data to the processor that does not respond on the backplane.
And if the Program was moved to a Periodic Task, leaving the Continuous Task empty, wouldn't that cause, rather than remedy, the problem described in RA Knowledgebase document 467702 ?
First off - you can't leave continious task empty, you must delete it or convert to a periodic task with rate of 1ms of higher
Second: root cause is in servicing of input data from diagnostic style output modules in the local chassis that interfere with the scan.
So, technote gives workaround not a fix.
And I assume that frosty got the same answer from techsupport :)