1769-L33ER and Ultra3000 over DeviceNet

LoganB

Lifetime Supporting Member
Running a 1769-L33ER rev 24. Need to know how to read parameters like the servo position and change parameters like a servo position setpoint on an Ultra 3000 communicating over DeviceNet.

The old program was on a SLC 5/05 and was using the DEM (DeviceNet Explicit Message) to do this. Rockwell's KB has a short document supposedly showing how to use a CIP generic message to do the same, but as is often the case, there are [seemingly] important parts missing that are keeping me from transferring the information from the old DEM to the new CIP message. I just keep getting an "object does not exist" error in the MSG.

Beyond that, Rockwell's phone support basically said that using a CIP generic wouldn't work because it was more complicated, and then sent me an example of a program that doesn't look like anything I'm trying to do at all.

I just want to be able to change servo position set points on a panelview! Should I be using SSV/GSV for this?

TIA for any pointers.

Logan, Logix DeviceNet Ultra 3000s are a pretty rare sight, at least in my experience. They usually are used in Motion applications in SERCOS or Analog Motion control setups.
From Page 1-2 of http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/2098-rm001_-en-p.pdf:

"The Ultra3000 Drive with DeviceNet operates as a slave device on a
DeviceNet network. The drive supports Explicit Messages and Polled
or Change-of-State/Cyclic I/O Messages of the predefined master/
slave connection set. The drive also supports the Unconnected
Message Manager (UCMM) so that up to five Group 3 Explicit Message
connections may be established with the drive."

This statement pretty much says it all; no GSV/SSV; only I/O (Polled or COS) or Explicit Messaging data exchange: Routing + Class ID, Instance ID, Attribute ID.

Welcome back dmargineau! The forum has missed your input. 🍻

I am going to try and set up a direct read/write using deviceNet, I'll just have to sort through the thousand or so parameters to make sure I have the right ones.

Please be more specific about the parts you don't understand and about the details that were in the DEM example with the SLC-500. I consider CIP messaging with ControlLogix a lot simpler than the DEM.

It's a slave device, not a motion axis, so the objects you're familiar with in a unit on SERCOS or EtherNet/IP don't exist.

The Ultra 3000 supports the ordinary Parameter Object, so you can set up the MSG as an ordinary Parameter Write.

Index Position Preset 0 would be (looks in user manual on page 101) Parameter 304. It's a DINT, so it's 4 bytes and the units are Encoder Counts.

The SLC logic might have been more complicated than the CompactLogix logic needs to be, since CompactLogix supports DINT data values natively.

Some PanelViews had the ability to do direct messaging over DeviceNet to an Ultra, but I would stick with ordinary MSG instructions in logic.