New Laptop Time what to get

Hi Chainsaw. Which model Precision did you end up with?

I am in the same boat, looking to replace my Lenovo W530. They quit producing the W-series and I don't really like what I see for the E or P series (which are recommended). And if I need to buy a new docking-station and everything, I am going to broaden my view.

Looking into the Precision 15 5000, but the quote I got was almost 3k!

Hi Chainsaw. Which model Precision did you end up with?

I am in the same boat, looking to replace my Lenovo W530. They quit producing the W-series and I don't really like what I see for the E or P series (which are recommended). And if I need to buy a new docking-station and everything, I am going to broaden my view.

Looking into the Precision 15 5000, but the quote I got was almost 3k!

I got the P50s last year, brilliant laptop. The battery will also last all day onsite also.

I have made the trade off. Battery life for speed. I have an MacPro 13 inch. I use fusion to run Windows XP.
I like the light weight. I like the aluminum case.
I don't even take the charger with me when I leave the hotel room. I always seem to come back with 30-50 percent batter left.
I like not being tethered.
I can go out with my laptop and watch the machine move while I tune up an axis.
I don't think I would get a Mac Book Pro again. I would look for a light weight laptop with an aluminum shell.

Depends what your work environment is. XPS 13/15 will be fine for office/airplane, but that's not gonna last in rugged environments. Dell 7404 Rugged Extreme and Panasonic Toughbooks are cheap used. I went with the Dell because you can swap SDD in 8 seconds. Shove VMs lol.

Macbook for me

I use MacBook pro with parallels so I have Win 10, Win Xp, and other stuff as I need it, covers lots of things.

Recommend it.

Dell M4800. You can find refurbs for $500 or so. Throw in a ssd and 32 GB of ram, and you are all set. They are built well, and many parts are replaceable.

I just got Dell Precision 7520 with M.2 SSD
Added second SATA SSD for VMs (internal slot near the battery) and two additional sticks of RAM making total of 48GB.

Can't beat a Thinkpad T430. Cost me ÂŁ200 on the bay of fleas, plus an SSD update for ÂŁ90. Had some memory lying around at home. Doesn't mind the odd knock and if I really need processing power I can change the processor for a true quad core i7. Added in a second SSD a few months back.

I run a Linux distribution on it and Virtualbox for my Windows environments.