Help and tips regarding Siemens plc

It does for me. Do a google search for GE DRIVE PROFIBUS CONTROLWORD

Hi thanks
Yes i got it the control word .
Plz also explain that how the analog value move to drive .for example reference speed set point.

Hi
Plz guide how analog output speed reference value move from PLC to drive Through profibus connection. also guide me about that how we know or consider that which analog output is for speed etc.

Plz plz guide this my first time when i work on profibus that why i don't have too much idea about that.

If I understand your question correctly, you now want to control your drive from the PLC program? I don't understand what you say about analog outputs. can you clarify?
If you have your drive connected with profibus you need your software to communicate to the drive's I/O addresses and I guess you need to read the manual of the drive to know what to read and write there.

hi wim
you are right I want to control my drive through plc . but I can't understand how speed reference or set point work for drive .also how define that which out put for that .

here analog output means drive speed reference which is define in program.

Last edited:
Have you read the manuals I posted for you? If you run into problems using them, where do you get stuck. The manuals are step by step walk-throughs, so you should be able to use those..

In essence, you add gsd to your program. Some I/O is automatically declared. The first two received input words are status and actual speed. The first two outputs are control word and speed reference respectively. You will have to setup your drive to look at the control word for start signal, perhaps in combination with some digital inputs. Same goes for reference set point.

Hi
Boneless,
Thanks a lot for your manual .i read it and get knowledge about profibus .As you mention above some input and out put are predefined .sois there any list or manual for ge drive .as you told first 2 input /out put but other are for what?

I'm going to assume that you have already made your Hardware configuration, this implies that you have actually assigned a PPO typr to your drive. Not knowing what PPO type you have used I have a bit of a problem. But I would suggest that being new to this you use one of the following:
PPO Type 3
PPO Type 4
PPO Type 6
PPO Type 7
PPO Type 8

If you have done this then you will also have the in- and output words that were assigned to the drive. For simplicity I will use PPO Type 3, where you will only have the Control Word and the speed reference (output) and the Status Word and the actual speed (input).
If you have assigned the in-/output addresses IW/QW256-258, this is what you have:

QW256: Control Word, this is where you will start/stop the drive. If you use the GE profile a value of 043C (hex) will stop the drive, 047C (hex) will start the drive (847C reverse).
QW258: Reference word, this is where you set the speed. it is scaled from 0-4000 hex and this corresponds to 0-100% of your maximum speed.

IW256: Status word, here you can see what if the drive is ready to run, running ramping and what not.
IW258: Main Actual Value, this is the speed feedback of the drive - letting you know what speed the drive is running at.

That is the basic on how you control a drive like this. If you need more parameters access you need to use a PPO Type with more PCD words. These words are then configured in the drive as to what parameter is mirrored in them. But I do not know te GE drive well enough to help you there.

Hi
Michal ,
Thanks to your valuable reply.it's very helpful to understand the concept.
In my program ppo type is 8 used. In that i understand that 1084 hex is used for drive stop.and1148 hex. Drive run.
From your post i understand that first two input output are for drive start stop and reference.
Here i want to ask u this input output are assigned by us or it taken by automatically. if assigned by us so how it can be?
Also if u have more knowledge about ppo type 8 plz share.

Also plz. Share that what setting are required in drive for run drive through profibus?

Last edited:
Hi Deno!

1084 is decimal, that would correspond to 043C in hex
1148 is decimal, that would correspond to 047C in hex

When you enter the PPO type in the HW configuration of the PLC the configuration software will assign the input and output addresses for you. But you can change the addresses later if you want to.

PPO Type 8 is 10 words (10 Input and 10 Output) and only the first two of each are "locked". For the Input words that is Status Word and Main Actual Value. And for the Output words it is Control Word and Reference word.
The last 8 words you will have to configure in the drive itself - if you need them?
They will by default be empty, but you can configure the drive to send most of its parameters to the PLC using the 8 remaining Input words and set parameters in the drive by configuring the 8 remaining Output words to the needed parameters.

But in most cases there is no need for this setting of parameters, once you have your drive up and running the system will probably not change and then there will be no reason to change parameters.

As mentioned I do not have any knowledge of the GE drive, but if it is anything like a Danfoss drive (and it most likely is) there will be a parameter for setting the node address and that it all for communication.

Hi
Michal
Know i am able to run drive through profibus.
But facing some problem to parameter setting in drive for that .i taken help of my subordinate but he has not clearly described.

Hi ,
I am here again with new problem .

Today one more m/c is handover to us .in that Siemens PLC s7 300 is used it having CPU 315 -2 dp.
I just i check the programme but it is little bit harder to understand because inthat input outputs are in DB.DBX...form. and this is my first time to see this type of program. so i have no idea data block. Please guide .also how i find actual input output from the particular db.dbx?