Indirect MicroLogix 1200 Communication

bkrupp

Is it possible to Go Online or Download changes to a MicroLogix 1200 that's connected to a Panel View Plus 600 (without unplugging the Panel View Plus 600)?

We've got a MicroLogix 1200 connected to a Panel View Plus 600 via Allen Bradley cable 2711-NC21 (serial to serial). The Panel View Plus has a static IP address assigned to it's Ethernet port.

I am able to talk to the HMI directly via Ethernet (making changes with Factory View) and the HMI is communicating properly to the MicroLogix 1200 via the 2711-NC21 cable.

It would be AWESOME if I could update the MicroLogix 1200 program without having to disconnect the HMI from the MicroLogix's Only serial port. Currently, I have to unplug the serial cable coming from the HMI and plug my laptop directly into the MicroLogix 1200 via serial.

So again.... can RSLinx/RSLogix on my laptop be setup in such a way that it can communicate with the MicroLogix 1200 through the HMI (LAPTOP >> {ETHERNET} >> HMI >> {2711-NC21} >> MICROLOGIX 1200)?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

.... can RSLinx/RSLogix on my laptop be setup in such a way that it can communicate with the MicroLogix 1200 through the HMI (LAPTOP >> {ETHERNET} >> HMI >> {2711-NC21} >> MICROLOGIX 1200)?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Not exactly like you have it. The PV+ cannot act as a bridge to the PLC for your programming software.

The only way I know of to end up with the result you desire, would be to use a DF1 (serial) to Ethernet converter module to put the ML1200 on Ethernet, then change the PV+ application to look for the ML1200 over the Ethernet network instead of serially.

Then you could remotely program either device via ethernet.

Two such devices to accomplish this conversion:
1761-NET-ENI
Digi One IAP

It would indeed be awesome, but it isn't supported by the RSLinx Enterprise software that runs inside the PanelView and manages its ports.

You might be able to even browse from the Ethernet side to the serial side, but if you try to get RSLogix 500 to use that path, it won't do it.

You could do as OkiePC said and use a DF1 -> Ethernet device such as a 1761-NET-ENI. However, i would just recommend just replacing the Micrologix1200 with a Micrologix 1100. You get ethernet and serial connections, significantly faster communications, and online edits. And there really isn't that big a difference in price.

Thank you all for the really quick and detailed responses.

I'll look into the DF1 to Ethernet devices for this scenario.... and then going forward, I'll focus on making sure we purchase controllers with Ethernet capabilities built in... and online editing :)