Help with Siemens MP277 That got wasted during restore

Gene Bond

First off, I am not a Siemens guy. I am trying to help a customer who bought an older machine with Siemens equipment in it. So far I have had no success.

The existing HMI was acting flakey, so I located a new replacement 'In Stock'. (That's a whole 'nuther story!)

I was able to backup the existing HMI with a thumb drive. I was restoring the data to the new HMI when the power apparently glitched, and caused the unit to reboot... Apparently the OS (Windows CE) did not get transferred, but the old OS got wiped. The unit just has the bootloader text displayed:

Bootloader MP277-10 Touch
Version 1.6
Date: 14.09.2011

And that's it.

I was hoping I could restore the OS via WinCC. I downloaded and installed WinCC Flexible Version 2008 SP5, and it seems to work on my Win10 virtual machine. I started a new project for the correct HMI, and attempted to download. I can't seem to connect, though. I tried Ethernet (Longshot, IMO, without an OS), USB A-A (Which I was hopeful), and USB-PPI ( https://www.plccable.com/siemens-plc-s7-200-usb-ppi-programming-cable-usbppi/ )

All to no avail. Now, granted, the PPI cable I have may not be the correct one? It is labeled for S7-200. Is there a different one I need?, or am I SOL?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Page 60 of this manual says:

Update operating system.
If there is no serviceable HMI device image on the HMI device, you can only update the
operating system by restoring the factory setting. Use the RS-422/485 interface with the
PC/PPI cable on the HMI device.

This manual for factory reset via Prosave says basically the same:
https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/attachments/19701610/19701610_prosave_1_2_e.pdf

Not an expert on this but the manual do say "multi-master PPI".
That would be this cable:
https://www.plccable.com/siemens-usb-ppi-multi-master-187-5k-6es7-901-3db30-0xa0/

N.B. That MP277 is very valuable !
If you can get it back to working condition you should consider selling it off, and use the earnings to migrate to a comfort panel which will be better and less expensive.

I was able to backup the HMI with the USB thumb drive (I believe). I have not been able to connect with either the PLC (S7-300) or the HMI (MP277) to see if they are locked. I am hopeful that the new cable will get me in.

The TIA version I have I know is probably too new for the PLC, but I'll be darned if I know what else to try there. That's not been a problem yet, but I do want to try backing it up and being able to troubleshoot the issues I know we'll have when the time comes.

I need to learn more about the Siemens 'culture' (for lack of a better term). It's all German to me :) I've been working with PLC's for over 40 years, and they make me wish I never began!

Gene
They’re not that bad. Like anything, it’s a learning curve
So did this machine come with any original code. Disks.. software?