1783-natr to hmi

sprek

has anyone been able to use a natr to connect to hmi with public address.

i have a plc and hmi setup in the natr

i can see and get online with plc just fine

i cant however get the hmi software to find screen

i can ping the address and get a replay

natr address private is 191.168.1.143 255.255.255.0

i have hmi set to

192.168.1.142 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.143

natr public is 10.8.15.132 255.255.0.0

hmi public in nat should be 10.8.15.131

yes i can ping 10.8.15.131 and get a reply

also if i unplug hmi ethernet i can no longer ping it

i use Beijer X2 panels

yes i can ping 10.8.15.131 and get a reply

also if i unplug hmi ethernet i can no longer ping it

i use Beijer X2 panels

For the Beijer X2 panels, do you know what TCP and UDP Port the HMI uses? You will have to go into the NATR settings and add that port as a "Rule".
Documentation on setting rules is in this PDF: https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1783-um008_-en-p.pdf
You should be able to use wireshark if the documentation doesn't have the port number.

Regards,
-PreLC

Last edited:
If the HMI software discovers the software by sending broadcast packets, it may not be able to find it because it is behind a gateway on the NAT. RSLinx has this same issue. You may have to enter the IP address into the software manually since it is behind a gateway.

If the HMI software discovers the software by sending broadcast packets, it may not be able to find it because it is behind a gateway on the NAT. RSLinx has this same issue. You may have to enter the IP address into the software manually since it is behind a gateway
i tried a direct download by ip address didnt help

For the Beijer X2 panels, do you know what TCP and UDP Port the HMI uses? You will have to go into the NATR settings and add that port as a "Rule".
Documentation on setting rules is in this PDF: https://literature.rockwellautomatio...m008_-en-p.pdf
You should be able to use wireshark if the documentation doesn't have the port number.
i am going to see if i can find the tcp data and try that

Once you get the UDP and/or TCP port #, the "Custom Rule" button is available in the NAT table.
Let us know how it goes!

I'm no wireshark expert but i saw port 9999 go across screen alot during TCP and UDP transmissions so i set TCP/UDP 9999 in the nat custom rule and it worked great

I still have to manually put in ip address it wont auto find but that's no big deal.

I am doing some program changes to a box conveyor far away from plc so its nice i can change program at the location I'm making the changes at

thanks again

You got it!

I still have to manually put in ip address it wont auto find but that's no big deal.

If this becomes a bother, usually the device discovery either happens via a different port, or via broadcasts(Not sure how this works, maybe someone else can elaborate on this).

You can try and download Microsoft's NetMon and run that on your network. This should help identify what other port(s) to put in the custom rules.

I dont see the custom rules button, and cant find info about it in the 1783-NATR manual, could it be because im using the web interface?

maybe its the firmware in the natr i was watching youtube videos and some show it some dont I uses web interface

natr.jpg

I dont see the custom rules button, and cant find info about it in the 1783-NATR manual, could it be because im using the web interface?

It's greyed out unless the translation already exists in the NAT. Once you have the translation, select it, and it should make that CustomRules button that's below selectable:

maybe its the firmware in the natr i was watching youtube videos and some show it some dont I uses web interface

natr.jpg