GE FANUC Series One

Lithoservice

Hello,

We need to do a job on a press and it has GE Fanuc Serie One PLC (IC610). GE doesn't do anything for the IC610 series.

I have read on this forum that it is now DL305 by Automation Direct that does it?

Quick Questions :
  • Is the DL305 the same thing as the IC610 just the number and name changed? Meaning Automation Direct bought the rights to manufacture from GE?
  • If not, are they FULLY compatible and has Automation Direct the full line from the IC610 Series?
  • If we use the DL305 are we potentially getting into trouble ? Or should we just rip everything and replace it by new complete PLC's?
Your answers will be much helpfull.

Thank you and have a nice day

Is the DL305 the same thing as the IC610 just the number and name changed? Meaning Automation Direct bought the rights to manufacture from GE?
It's actually the other way round. Koyo has always made the product. GE Fanuc sold it under the Series One name. When GE Fanuc and Koyo parted ways around 1990, TI started marketing the product under the TI305 brand name. Later Siemens bought TI's PLC business and offered the product as the Simatic TI305.

are they FULLY compatible and has Automation Direct the full line from the IC610 Series?
For any I/O module you're likely to find in a Series One, there is almost certainly an equivalent Automation Direct Part number. Exceptions might be any module that has a Horner Electric label on it. I think Horner modules were made by Facts Engineering which is still partnered with AD, so that may not pose a problem.

If we use the DL305 are we potentially getting into trouble ? Or should we just rip everything and replace it by new complete PLC's?

It depends on what you need to do. If it is a simple addition of a new function, and there is enough memory available, you should be able to stay with the existing platform. If it is a major upgrade, it may make more sense to move to something more current.

Your biggest compatibility issue may lie the software. If you already have Logicmaster One software and a computer to run it on, you'll probably be OK. DirectSoft software from AD is only compatible with Series One CPU105 and CPU106 models, so if you have to purchase AD software to do this job, you may find you also have to purchase a new CPU model.

Thank you Steve and RsDoran for your answers.

Actually I checked with what we have, there is a CPU105, but one needs to be changed for there are multiple units that need servicing. But that's ok for it is in the list as a direct fit...

Secondly I checked with the cross reference list and 2 analog I/O's (IC610MDL116 and IC610MDL166) will need to be upgraded to newer ones for there is nothing available.

Quick question : Will the other cards available in cross reference function just like "PLUG AND PLAY" no modification needed?

And upgrading to the higher resolution analog I/O's a big problem?

Thank you very much for your time.

Have a nice day

Last edited:
And upgrading to the higher resolution analog I/O's a big problem?
There will be some programming changes required to accomodate this. The Series One analog input resolution is 8 bits. The raw analog data is in the first 8 bits of the module's I/O address. The first three bits of the high byte of the address space is the channel number. I've never personally done a 12-bit resolution DL305 analog module, but I'm sure the raw data will be in 12 consecutive bits. In the Series One analog output module (2 channel, 8-bit), the low byte of the address space is the data for channel 1 and the high byte is the data for channel 2.

Automation Direct has an excellent technical support team. I strongly suggest you review the details of any replacements that aren't listed in the compatibility chart.

What are you going to be using for software? The Series One requires a Data Communications Unit as the interface with the Logicmaster. The DCU plugs into the port on the CPU module. There is also a handheld programmer that plugs into the same port. There are newer DL305 CPU modules that don't require the DCU.

Thank you Steve,

I don't know for the Software yet, I'll leave that to our engineering dept. but with your answers I'll be able to take up the DL305 to them as a solultion.

Thank you for your help

Hi Steve,

No it's in Canada.

What will probably happen is that the cross refs will be changed for new and the analogs will be changed for Refurbished ones (more costly but less time cosuming).

Thank you

Have a great evening.

Another viable option here, although more costly, would be to convert to GE Fanuc 90-30. There is a direct software conversion package that I have used several times with excellent results. In all but one case there was no editing needed for existing logic some of these included analog I/O.