Micrologix ASCII communication

Delkster

Lifetime Supporting Member
Working with a AB Micrologix 1400, trying to communicate with a Telesis TMC470 printer via rs-232 using Port 1 (DB9) connector on PLC. The printer is capable of ASCII communication. I need to send a 9 digit
serial number generated by the PLC to the printer each cycle. Need help developing ASCII plc logic and setting up communication between the PLC and Printer. I have a general idea of how to do it but, would like to see how experienced PLC programmers using ASCII would approach this. Any help would be greatly appreciated !!! Also any example logic from an ASCII style communication setup using RSlogix500 would be great !

Thank You,
Delkster

You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not get there. (Yogi Berra)

Last edited:
Stick your serial number in a string.
Configure your port settings including termination characters.
Use AWT to send string. If the command is more complicated the port will buffer up to 10(?) strings to send in sequence.
Done.

The most complicated part is building the strings you need to send.