Networking - Managed Networks

rjDomico

Hi there,

I'm new to the forums and was wondering if you guys could recommend some good resources to get me up to speed with Industrial Ethernet Networks. My plant is undergoing significant network restructuring and being a more traditional PLC guy this is all starting to get a little overwhelming.

My plant IT people have decided to standardize with Allen-Bradley Stratix line of Managed Switches for the Industrial Zone. But VLANs, Routing, NAT, tagged versus non-tagged traffic...I'm pulling my hair out!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Be careful walking through the IT-forest. It is full of quicksand and mirages. More importantly, be cautious of the people who call it home. They have the ability to mask their knick-knack-tick-tock language and it sounds very much like English, but it is not. When you hear them, it is too late.

God speed sir.

A word of caution.

Keep the administrative part and the plant part of the plant SEPARATE !!!
put a wall between them and keep it there.

once the administrators and managers get their hands on the plant side, they want the ability to change programs, parameters, timers specifications and so on.

i'm in the it Dept and lucky for me, all the it guys are the plc programmers so we keep them as far away as possible.
james

rjDomico said:
Hi there,

I'm new to the forums and was wondering if you guys could recommend some good resources to get me up to speed with Industrial Ethernet Networks. My plant is undergoing significant network restructuring and being a more traditional PLC guy this is all starting to get a little overwhelming.

My plant IT people have decided to standardize with Allen-Bradley Stratix line of Managed Switches for the Industrial Zone. But VLANs, Routing, NAT, tagged versus non-tagged traffic...I'm pulling my hair out!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

Give your reading glasses a good clean and make sure they're on squarely now. Then, if your sitting comfortably, you can start reading here...

Converged Plantwide Ethernet (CPwE) Design and Implementation Guide

That is the introduction DIG (Design and Implementation Guide) for CPwE (Converged Plantwide Ethernet) with specific focus on Rockwell Automation and Cisco appliances. For your information - Allen Bradley Stratix switches utilize Cisco embedded firmware and technology, so the two companies are tightly integrated with regard to implementing Ethernet architectures within Industrial Automation Control Systems (IACS).

The above document is the first of many that they provide on the subject. To access each document quickly, I have provided the URL link text below to the above document so as to point out the following...

(Note: "h" in "http" omitted to prevent Forum creating an actual URL link)

ttp://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/td/enet-td001_-en-p.pdf

...If you simply increment the Technical Document number in the URL link you will be taken to the next relevant document.

Example:-

ttp://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/td/enet-td002_-en-p.pdf

...will take you to the next document - Deploying Industrial Firewalls within a Converged Plantwide Ethernet Architecture DIG

...and so on.

Keep going until you run out of incremental numbers, or your eyeballs have fallout. If all that is not enough to frighten you off, then welcome, also, to the world of Industrial Ethernet Networking.

Regards,
George

Thanks a bunch guys...LOL...this is some of the funniest stuff I've heard in a while. I appreciate all of your time!