Logix5000 AOI vs Data types?

jimdi4

Hello,

I was wondering if this was ever covered in previous threads:

I am new to AOI's (Add On Instructions) and to Data types. I usually just code straight forward logic.

I would like to use either an AOI or Data type to create control for a control valve, that will be standardized across many machines.

Can anyone give preference to either and AOI or Data type? Advantages? disadvantages? between the two...that would be great...

Jim:geek:

You are actually talking about two different but similar things.

The concept for the UDT and the AOI is similar. In each case you are building a template. In the case of the UDT - for a new composite data type. In the case of an AOI - for a logic procedure.

Ine each case, to actually use the template you have created you make a new tag (UDT) of you new type or create a new instance of the AOI which gets its own memory space and local tags.

So it's not so much a 'preference' as which do you use for a given purpose.

Thanks Bernie....I have a similar question on two seperate COntrologix open sessions.

One session I copied an ACD from our server that contained the Add On Instruction, and I have another Contrologix session open that doesn't have an add on instruction in the controller organizer.

Is there something I have to flip on to view the add on instruction in the controller organizer if its not there?

I guess another way of putting it, I want to copy the AOI from one Contrologix program to another...I see where you can export the instruction as an *.L5X but how do I then import it to another program?

Last edited: