Unity Pro DINT To 4 Byte Conversion

toddster900

Hi All

I have recently had cause to start using Unity Pro but am still struggling with it a bit. I a trying to convert a speed reference for a drive being controlled over coms from a DINT to 4 BYTEs. I have managed to do it as follows.

(*Speed Setpoint*)
DINT_AS_WORD (IN := SV001_DB.Drv_SP,
LOW => Delete_SP1,
HIGH => Delete_SP2);

WORD_AS_BYTE (IN := Delete_SP1,
LOW => SVD001.Outputs.Free1[4],
HIGH => SVD001.Outputs.Free1[5]);

WORD_AS_BYTE (IN := Delete_SP2,
LOW => SVD001.Outputs.Free1[6],
HIGH => SVD001.Outputs.Free1[7]);

However, this required me to create two additional tags every time I want to do this. "Delete_SP1" and "Delete_SP2". Is there a way I can achieve this without creating any additional tags.

ST is also not my preferred language but I can see the benefits in it at times and am trying to improve my understanding and use of the language.

Thanks

You can code this also with function blocks at fbd editor, then there is no need to use additional tags. (connect function blocks with lines)

If you want use still st-coding, then I would make first derived function block (own function block where is inside this same code with function blocks/FBD editor)

After you have maked your own function block, you can call it on st-code and you need only variabels for inputs and outputs. (of course you can use your own DFB with every program language at Unity)

Last edited:
Hi Lare

Thanks for the response. I had considered writing a FB to do it as you suggested but I had hoped that it may just be my lack of knowledge on ST that was holing me back. If it is not possible I will move forward with that solution.

Thanks again

This maybe also works, use array varible with %MW address, then make another variable (dint) with same %MW address. PLC copies data "indirectly" with help of %MW adress from type to type.

(this method don't need any block coding, it has cons and pros.) = Not easy allways to undestand how data copies from variable to variable, Unity also warns that same memory is overlapping with variables)

byte.jpg

Much easier to program in the FBD language
3 function blocks connected by links and job done
I find the FBD language much easier and clearer to use. I would never go back to ladder