slc 5 upgrade

moataz.elmehy

in my Company I have :-
Two CPUs 1747 SLC 5/04
Three CPUs 1747 SLC 5/03
Connected by 1747 PIC converter from RS 232 to Rs 485 to Scada Station Runing RSview V 4.5
the Network have ahigh traffic and low speed
i wanna upgrade keeping the Original Software Rs Logix 500 and Rs linx
what is your advice??

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

The most straightforward upgrade is to replace the SLC-5/04 and SLC-5/03 controllers with SLC-5/05 model controllers.

The SLC-5/05 has an Ethernet port, which can connect easily, and with much higher performance, to the RSView project.

If the controllers use MSG instructions or DH+ Global Data to communicate with one another, then there may be some program edits required. But otherwise, a simple edit to the RSView driver configuration is all that is needed.

As Ken said, your best bet is to upgrade the processors to SLC 5/05 models. However, this option can be very expensive, especially if you are buying brand new processors.

Your other option is to use gateways to convert processor's existing to the communication protocols to ethernet, such as a DF1 to Ethernet gateway using the RS232 programming port on the processors. AB used to make a converter (1761-NET-ENI), however they have recently discontinued it. There are many manufacturers that make similar devices. The gateway devices does NOT have all the functionality or speed using a SLC5/05, but is significantly cheaper than purchasing new processors.

The other option is convert the SLC's to a CompactLogix processor, ether directly or by using a 1747-AENTR remote i/o adapter. This, however, significantly more complicated and time consuming, but is the biggest bang for your buck as far as being ready for the future.

Last edited: