Changing 1794-AENT /A IP address

colemaj1

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anybody know how to change the IP address of the series A flex IO comm module? This is the one that doesn't have the helpful 3 digit wheel to set things back to factory default.

I don't know the current IP address, so I can't add it to a project and change it there.

If you know the current IP address then just create a local driver in RsLinx that points to the current addy. Right click and select properties to change.

If it is in it's default state then you will need to add one step and use the BootP tool to assign an address that can then be used in Linx.

If I'm not mistaken, one can use a USB cable and connect to the processor through the USB port. Then go onto Linx and look for every device under the USB plus (+) sign. You ought to see IP addresses for everything that's communicating to Linx. Then you can get the IP and follow the procedure that thumperbs posted above. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

This comm module is not part of a project, and isn't communicating with Lynx, so I can't get or change the IP address that way.

I've used wireshark before, but I'm not super familiar with it. Will it see the comm module even it's on a different subnet than the pc with wireshark?

What you're looking for when you are sniffing out the IP address of an embedded device like the 1734-AENT are "Address Resolution Protocol" packets.

You'll see them despite having your NIC set for a different IP subnet or for no IP address at all, because they are Broadcast packets.

Here's an example:

My PC is set for 10.1.1.81, and the only thing connected to it is a 1734-AENT/B set for Static IP with the IP address 192.168.2.42.

The 1734-AENT/B has the MAC ID 00:00:BC:CC:16:06 on a sticker on the side of the module. DHCP/BOOTP protocols are disabled on the module.

Note that the Gratuitous ARP is sent out only when I power up, and the ordinary ARP packets are sent every two minutes or so afterwards.

I've filtered the Wireshark packets to show only ARP protocol, so that my computer's attempts to contact our e-mail server and the Internet don't clutter the screen.

ARP_Wireshark.PNG