Panel View & Control Logix

gizmo

Need help with tag addressing from PV600 to Control Logix Processor.

I'm attempting to setup a Panel View 600 communicating via Ethernet to a Control Logix Processor.

I have put an numeric entry keypad enabled oject with the write & read tagname = ROLL_SIZE.
The tag address = ROLL_SIZE. (type=IEEE/real)
(I have a Program tag type real called ROLL_SIZE built in my RSLogix 5000 project)

When I validate the Panel Builder Project, I get the following :
Error(9436)- [Tag - ROLL_SIZE] Address is Invalid.

Can anyone help me with the addressing scheme required between the PV600 and Control Logix using its native/symbolic name.

Thanks

From what you've said, I can't see any obvious mistake.
- you should be able to use the same text for the PV tag name and the CLX address (I normally don't)

Have you configured the CLX node address?

I believe the addresses need to be controller-scope - but that should show up as a run-time error.

Which version of PanelBuilder are you using ? And which firmware version of the PanelView 600 ?

This capability has been built slowly into the PanelView firmware, and it's still not as simple as addressing SLC's and PLC-5's.

If you have your Node configured as something other than "ControlLogix 5000" then PanelBuilder will reject ControlLogix native tagnames.

I'm not sure if an EtherNet/IP PanelView can address Program-scope tags; I don't see a way to specify the Program name when you enter a tag address in PanelBuilder 3.80.

Thanks for the help!
My node type was not set for ControlLogix5000. I had it set for CL5000 at one time but I guess it got changed whiling trouble shooting.

During Validation of Panel Builder project does it go out and look at any of the RSLogix 5000 Project settings?

What do I have to do in my RSLogix5000 project to add the PV600?

Thanks Again!

Oh Yea, I running PB32 v3.80 and I beleive the PV600 Firmware = v4.2

Last edited:
gizmo,

The point Ken made about Program scoped tags is a biggie. In your ControlLogix any tags to be accessed by a network must be Controller scoped.

Also, it sounds like you are using the latest firmware and latest software.

The PanelBuilder does not go out to your ControlLogix to verify the tags you created actually exists.

OG

I guess I'll move my PanelView tags from Program Scope to Controller Scope. That's not a big deal. I'm glad you brought that to my attention.

What do I have to do in my RSLogix5000 project to add the PV600?

PB32 = v3.80
PV600 FW = v4.2
RSLogix 5000 = v10

Thanks Again!

The PanelView with EtherNet/IP when used with a ControlLogix and it's 1756-ENBT card supports scheduled I/O data messaging, as well as the conventional tag address read-and-write.

This is really handy for PanelView pushbutton and indicator objects; you can define some AI and AO memory in the PanelView (acronyms are for Assembly Input and Assembly Output) and have that data automatically transferred across EtherNet/IP at a periodic rate. The other, slower, data that you need to display and enter can be exchanged on an unscheduled basis as tagnames.

It's not fully integrated into RSLogix 5000 as of Version 10, though; you have to define the PV600 as a "Generic Ethernet Module" and enter some Assembly numbers and sizes to set up the scheduled I/O connection.

There is some decent info in PanelBuilder Help about how this Assembly Data is referenced in PanelBuilder tags.

There is also a RA Knowledgebase document on the topic: Document A9033892

Operaghost said:
gizmo,

The point Ken made about Program scoped tags is a biggie. In your ControlLogix any tags to be accessed by a network must be Controller scoped

OG

i believe you can pick up any tag in a Control Logix 5550 processor, the name is "program:programname.tagname" where programname is the name of the program in the processor, and tagname is the name of the local tag.

EX:

program:bottleconveyor.photoeye1