GE QP/QP+ with EBI001 through EGD

It looks like you are trying to enter variables wherever the software is calling for IP addresses. You need to enter actual IP addresses. The same applies to produced EGD exchange IDs.
At some point you will need to make the EBI target the active target and transfer the hardware configuration to it. The software will call that action a "download".
You will also need to make the PANEL target the active target and perform a download and start operation to it.
The project I posted in #7 I is very similar to what you have done except that I used my laptop as the PANEL target instead of a Quick Panel. That project worked. Compare my settings against yours.

It looks like you are trying to enter variables wherever the software is calling for IP addresses. You need to enter actual IP addresses. The same applies to produced EGD exchange IDs.
At some point you will need to make the EBI target the active target and transfer the hardware configuration to it. The software will call that action a "download".
You will also need to make the PANEL target the active target and perform a download and start operation to it.
The project I posted in #7 I is very similar to what you have done except that I used my laptop as the PANEL target instead of a Quick Panel. That project worked. Compare my settings against yours.

In the spirit of saving the next guy the need to post I tried to generalize it. Obviously I can't use variables as IP addresses, but having different names to stare at in the tutorial can make it easier for someone to do the configuration correctly (or see errors in my tutorial) than staring at number, be it from 3.0.0.127 or 192.168.100.101 range.

So aside from skipping the Download step and crossing fingers did I miss anything else?
Because I still don't see why I get error 852 when testing with the configuration loaded after these steps, especially if everything is correct and complete... :confused::confused::confused:

One thing I noticed that in the "Consumed exchange" tab the IP address box is called "Producer ID" not Producer IP. :confused:

Can you post the project you were referring to in posts #14 and #15 with the ten screen captures. The project I posted followed the same steps as you described plus I downloaded the I/O target to the EBI001. In order to download to the EBI001 I had to first assign it a temporary IP address using the utility included with Proficy Machine Edition. After downloading I cycled power to the EBI001.
When I downloaded the HMI/control target to my laptop I did not get an 852 error and there was EGD communications between the laptop and the EBI001.

As I said I'm at a different site this week and I don't have the GE hardware at hand to do any test suggestions. (Siemens+Schneider Motion + Fanuc 🔨)

I attached the blank project that I made for the "tutorial". (proficy 9.5)

Do you know what PME SIM you were running when you created the QPEBI project?
When I first opened it I was at PME version 9.5, SIM3. When I made the PANEL the active target and performed a "validate" operation, PME crashed. I then downloaded the current SIM (SIM11) and upgraded. After that the PANEL target validates without errors.
When do you get the 852 error? Is it when you download PANEL to the Quick Panel or is it generated on the Quick Panel itself when you try to run?
I can't actually run your project because I don't have a Quick Panel. I'm limited to running the HMI/control target on a Windows 7 or Windows 10 laptop. I converted your project to a Windows PC target and modified the I/O modules to match what I have. I downloaded the modified EBI target to my EBI001 and then downloaded the PANEL target to my Windows 7 laptop. No errors.

Is it even remotely possible that if I load the Hardware Configuration to the EBI001 with a different version of Proficy than the HMI/control project it won't communicate? :sick:o_O
And I can read the error code only if the Panel or PC is on, I don't know what error code I have before it boots.

Last edited:
The only reason I'd expect a version mismatch between the two targets would be if the EBI target contained a module that didn't exist in the Proficy version used to program the HMI/control target.
And I can read the error code only if the Panel or PC is on, I don't know what error code I have before it boots
I take that to mean that the error code is displayed on the Quick Panel when you first start the View runtime application on it. Is that correct?

Update: we lost the contract related to half of the factory which is run with GE system and working only on the Siemens part.

Kind of a relief because if there is no proper documentation from the manufacturer for implementation it's not worth the trouble.
Lesson learned: don't work with any customers who are too cheap to buy anything else than Allen Bradley or Siemens.

Thanks for the effort though. Subscribed for 1 year membership, hopefully I won't need to use it...