GE Proficy Machine Edition

nutcase511

Hello everyone,
I'm wondering if I could possibly get some help?

I have a few machines that use GE Fanuc 90-30 PLC's controlling them, and wish to make a moderately simple program change to them. I have a pretty good amount of experience with Allen Bradley SLC 500's and Compact Logix systems. I'm trying to buy GE's Proficy Machine Edition, and having trouble getting straight answers from the sales guy.

Do any of you know about any backwards compatibility issues? The version suggested for purchase is 9.5. The PLC's were put in 2016, so they're not that old.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Brandon

First, I would be really surprised if someone installed a new 90-30 in 2016. That PLC is very dated and went end-of-life in 2017. Having said that, you shouldn't have any issue with backward compatibility as long as you get the latest version of Proficy ME.

If you are proficient with AB PLC, it's not all that different.

Some more info here:

https://blog.cimtecautomation.com/tech-support-faq-for-ge-fanuc-90-30-plc

Hi Brandon and Welcome to the Forum!!

Do you know if Proficy ME was used to do the original programming on the PLC? The reason why I ask is that GE used 3 (that I know of) different programming packages over the years. So if Proficy was not used you may have to either get a copy of the offline program and convert it to Proficy or download the code from the PLC using the original programming software and then convert it.

If it was done with Proficy then you should be golden to just buy a copy of the software and go.

I will admit that I am a GE rookie and there are a some people on the site and I would consider experts so maybe they will chime in and give you more info or correct me if I am wrong.

I'd say that anything that was installed new in the last dozen years give or take was programmed with Proficy Machine Edition. Version 9.5 is the current version. The newer versions of PME will be backward compatible with programs created with the older versions. There are (or at least used to be) multiple pricing levels of PME. The least expensive will only program the VersaMax product line. The mid-priced version is good for VersaMax and 90-30. The highest priced will program all models, including the PAC systems line. I don't know anything about current pricing levels, but if you are quoted a price that seems ridiculously high, ask about the package that only goes up to the 90-30 since you don't need the package for the PAC systems PLCs. If there is a GE HMI involved and you need to make changes to that as well you will need an additional license for it.

Thanks

Answers highlighted in the quote below.

Hi Brandon and Welcome to the Forum!!

Do you know if Proficy ME was used to do the original programming on the PLC? The reason why I ask is that GE used 3 (that I know of) different programming packages over the years. So if Proficy was not used you may have to either get a copy of the offline program and convert it to Proficy or download the code from the PLC using the original programming software and then convert it.

I don't know for sure that it was used to program the older machines, but we JUST bought two BRAND NEW machines from them, and when their tech came to help install the new machine, it uses the newer RX3I (?) PLC, and he used Proficy ME to program it/troubleshoot all of the sensors and "buttons". I did get a hold of a good sales rep at a company yesterday afternoon, and he told me that the new processors backplane has the same design, so I can just unplug the modules on the 90-30 and swap back planes, plug the modules in, then make the program modifications needed but it should be good to go. Which is a pretty slick setup. I put in a requisition today to order PME 9.5, 700 PTS Pro Developer Suite. Only like $2,200.00 lol. So once the order goes thru and I receive the software I'm going to go play with it.

THANKS!

If it was done with Proficy then you should be golden to just buy a copy of the software and go.

I will admit that I am a GE rookie and there are a some people on the site and I would consider experts so maybe they will chime in and give you more info or correct me if I am wrong.

In the spirit of the Sundance Kid asking Butch Cassidy if he used enough dynamite (or was it the other way around?), did you use a big enough font there, nutcase?
The Rx3i is the successor to the 90-30. A 90-30 can be converted to an Rx3i fairly easily. The 90-30 I/O modules can be installed in the Rx3i backplane. The 90-30 program converts to Rx3i with a couple of "gotchas". The one that will cause you the most headaches is the comparison instructions. The converted logic is likely to place the logic to the right of the comparison instruction at the wrong node of the comparison block.
Given that you will have a mixture of 90-30 and Rx3i processors, you will need the higher priced ($2200) software package instead of the mid-priced package which can only program the VersaMax and 90-30 lines.

Sorry about the font. I just picked a number, it wasn't showing me a "live preview" of how big it actually was.

As of right now we're holding off on swapping out processors, but I foresee it needing to be done sooner than later. I just thought it was pretty handy that they made it the same.